driver facing cams?

Discussion in 'Superior Carriers' started by yankatank, Feb 14, 2018.

1. yankatank

yankatank Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2018
    hello all. Been with the company for well over a year. I've heard a rumor that starting the end of this year we will have driver facing cameras. Is this true? Was thinking of saving up(with points since we get so many at Pilot/Flying J) and getting a camera(road facing). Just hate the idea of people nit-picking how I drive, although I have a flawless record, so far. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    That rumor has been around for a couple of years now. I doubt we will see driver facing ones. Maybe outward facing ones but my guess is as long as terminals are hurting for drivers that won’t happen.

4. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I will not drive a rig with driver facing cameras.

Aamcotrans Thanks this.
  5. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    my company has drive-cams that face both the road and the driver. i have mixed feelings about them. the darn thing is constantly going off when i hit a bump or drive on rough farm access driveways.... its a milk truck. i presume the company had too many accidents in the past and the insurance company forced it upon them. i will say no one has ever "nit-picked" my driving. i will say that i dont have any "hard stops" and i maintain proper following distances. i generally drive in a safe manner and no one has ever said anything about the drive cam. my experience was limited and i have a desire to stay local so i put up with it. i do know about an accident that the company had before i started. the guy was lighting a cigarette and looking out the side window, he never slowed down for the stop sign and put the truck into the trees completely trashed both the tractor and trailer, total loss... then he lied about it and said the brakes failed. bad driving. they fired him. so in a way i can see the point it protects the company against total morons.

6. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    Maybe companies should not hire idiots. And do driver testing.

Aamcotrans Thanks this.
  7. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    i dont disagree but my bosses response to that would be he cant find enough drivers. i dont know what to make of it. he does hire idiots, the trailers and trucks have their dings and dents and it doesn't help his brand image. i try very hard not to be one of them, so far i have a very good reputation at the company, i intend on keeping it that way.

8. SleepyJ77

SleepyJ77 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2018
    I haul cement for a local concrete company here in Florida and they all have cameras in the mixer trucks. They claim it's for safety purposes and that is a JOKE!! I have several guys get into trouble for such bs that happens. And the company watches them to see how they are driving. No way in hell that I could go for that. I bought a forward facing one from my terminal manager but it's still in the box. I have 18 safe years and not about to let some pencil pusher tell me how to drive my truck.

Aamcotrans Thanks this.
  9. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    i dont think my boss watches the way we are driving, i think he only reviews it when there is an accident. no one has nit-picked at me, it still doesn't mean that i like it.

10. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    My buddy drives for sysco, and they got them. He can't smoke even in the truck. Or make hands free calls.

Aamcotrans Thanks this.
  11. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    i guess it all depends upon how the company uses them. i vape in my truck, as do a couple of other guys..... many of them smoke. no one cares. in my company's case at least they dont use them as a nit-picking tool. do your job pay attention to the road and no one bothers you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.