Driver layoffs coming

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by rachi, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Bad timing for people who want to get into trucking, as well as less freight available for companies and seasoned drivers.

nredfor88 Thanks this.
  3. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    People read things and automatically presume it’s true or gonna be true.....especially if it’s bad news. Thank The Lord he has given us all the Good News....

4. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    Everybody has an opinion , thats all it is and really can you trust the news nowadays

5. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    I was around in 08/09, companies parked trucks along the back fence, cut driver pay, and benefits to survive. I see that coming again, many companies will disappear, big and small. If you are a good, safe, and dependable driver, you should be okay. When companies start cutting back they will get rid of the seat fillers first.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Feast and famine.

Firings will continue until Morale improves.

And hirings the same until whinings and pleases stop.

Round we go again every certain number of years.

This time there will be 500 in every orientation trailer. Company will take pick of the litter and discard the rest.

Dave_in_AZ, 77fib77, lsnook24 and 5 others Thank this.
  7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i'd say bad timing for those parking thier rigs, taking out loans to just stay home as well. they don;t wanna haul cheap freight. i can understand that, but sooner or later, everything runs out, and then they have to get back on the road, and then find it difficult to find loads, when they could have been hauling all this time.

i will not link it here, but there is a thread on this site, where someone is basically saying he will still be ok, and he only just started a couple of months ago..>???

Dave_in_AZ, Deere hunter and rachi Thank this.
  8. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Guess it depends on your client.
    Right now, we're out of our lane and doing brokered loads, but we've got an in because I personally have done a lot of rescues and repowers in the NE for them. So we're calling in all favors and because we're a known quantity with this broker, we are kicking ###.

I'm sure the pay is lower than usual. I'm actually joking to my rep right now about a load of beer from yesterday that would have been worth more to "lose" file a claim and sell retail than we made hauling it. But the "dirty work" is keeping us busy.

Also, TA just fired it's restaurant staff. I'm looking for the article to post now.

9. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    It'll fix its self.

Coffey and Deere hunter Thank this.
  10. Muskie

Muskie Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2019
    TA actually did them a favor by laying off the staff. Now at least they can get unemployment, instead of drastically reduced hours.

77fib77, nredfor88, D.Tibbitt and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.