Driver pinned by tractor-trailer at Walton truck stop

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by rickybobby, Apr 20, 2018.

1. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    WALTON, Ky. (WKRC) - A truck driver was critically injured when another tractor-trailer pinned him against his own truck at a Walton truck stop.

The Boone County Sheriff's Office said Jeffrey Kidwell was standing at the front driver side corner of his own semi Wednesday evening at the Flying J Truck Stop. Another tractor-trailer driver started to pull out and swung wide in Kidwell's direction. The rear of that trailer hit Kidwell and pinned against his own truck.

A medical helicopter took Kidwell to UC Medical Center. He's in critical condition.
    Investigators say the other truck driver is cooperating with deputies.

Driver pinned by tractor-trailer at Walton truck stop

Lepton1 and tinytim Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LeeJackson

LeeJackson Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Santa Fe Springs, CA
    Tragic story. Just sad!

Puppage Thanks this.
  4. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    I soon as that truck started to pull out,
    He should have moved out the way.
    Better safe then sorry.

5. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    You don't get old being stupid

All4Safety, magoo68, allniter and 5 others Thank this.
  6. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Seems so wrong to me to be infront. Unless your opening or closing the hood. Yet if there wasnt room for him when he got crushed? What the heck was he doing? Taking a leak?

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Probably tail-swing. All the more reason not to chance it.

8. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    We have to be responsible for ourselves watching every move done by others, even opening the hood is dangerous as some go fast always and have no concern of others. The whole nation of truck drivers better start demanding that the laws be made reasonable so the ones who can not think and as soon as clock starts floor it, even when in a crowd of others be given a cushion so they stop that, but you can not stop stupid, they will only find another reason to blame others.

9. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Had a guy wreck my truck last week with tail swing pulling out .

I had talked to him the night before, seemed like a experienced and knowledgable guy, guess that's why he Ran

Lepton1 and diesel drinker Thank this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    The way drivers get pinned in every day with trucks parking in aisles, nosing in, and otherwise not balancing their position in their allotted space, these super tight turn outs are going to happen more frequently, and as such these tail swing incidents are going to increase.

On a related note, a few ago at the W Memphis J, I had to shorten my trailer all it would go to get out of a space at 04:30 and had to be extra mindful of tail swing. Super long WB KW on one side with his nose sticking out 5 feet into the aisle on my left, and jackwads not backed in all the way across the way in the other turn direction.

As if we don't have enough challenges on the highways and byways and city streets, now we have to deal with unnecessary challenges every day in the truck stops, too.

11. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I am avoiding going into any big truck stops from here on, since that little incident.

Those dang Oasisis off 94 will become my next Avoidance

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.