Driver quit

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by KimWI, Jul 13, 2018.

1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    No, you can't deduct costs of training.

Yes, you have to pay him for the time he worked.

Diesel Dave and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You don't pay him after you terminate him, you pay him what he is due for the hours he worked.

If it is third party training, it is an expense that is factored into the operating costs. If it is just having him sit in the truck, nope but the OP mentioned MSHA which I assume is a safety training and our safety training is all third party and deducted.

4. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    In Canada, there is a probationary period upon hiring. During this period, an employer can fire an employee without notice, and an employee can quit without notice. Once the period is finished, either are required to give notice, unless there is grievous violation of the employment contract on behalf of the employee.

I'm not sure what it's like in the US, but unless you have it on paper that you can deduct those costs from their final pay if they quit before a specific period of time has passed, you are completely SOL.

5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    When I was running pools in WI we had to make the lifeguards pay for their certification up front, then we would reimburse each month. This was put in place by the city attorney so that if they quit or were fired we wouldn't be on the hook for the training cost. Any other way we had no recourse- per the attorney.

Also in WI you cannot make deductions that would lower the wage below minimum wage. Given the guy worked for two days, I highly doubt there would be much to collect.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.