Driver shortage or special breed?!?!

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Suffy Transport, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Suffy Transport

Suffy Transport Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2019
    Joplin, MO
    Question: Is there really that big of a shortage for Class A drivers or does it take a special kind of driver to want to do auto hauling?!?!? I'm having a heck of a time finding a few drivers for our growing business even with amazing pay and benefits. :confused: HELP?!?!

casio Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Carhaul takes work, and far too many young guys aren't willing to put the work in.

Sad state of affairs.

Ziggy319, BigBob410, Hulld and 2 others Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I would not haul autos. But I have no problem transporting premium or fun cars because you don't hand those to kiddies with lead foot.

I have watched the evening ritual as the bought cars were loaded in front of our gate at ADESA daily and it's what the Canadians would call a Gong Show. Im sure they get it done and all, but as a former flatbedder I see a lot of wasted motion and a strong desire to lift a finger only when necessary, resulting in a little bit of what I call two cooks in the kitchen working against each other. One will toss straps across, the other will pick it off the ground and toss it back. The first would pick it up again on his side and toss it over.

You don't believe what I have seen with these things. And the kicker? Totally.. er... human, sort of slapstick cartoon issues funny way of doing it without realizing what they were doing (Or caring perhaps?)

I'll just as soon as transport that 100K vehicle on it's own wheels. Cut me a check when I get it delivered wherever you want it.

5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    The work ain't the issue....the responsibility is.

6. Suffy Transport

Mar 13, 2019
    Joplin, MO
    Sadly that's what I was afraid of, its more of an unwillingness to actually preform manual labor versus sitting on your butt doing nothing. o_O

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    you cant get the amish to drive trucks, does that mean they are lazy and sitting on their butts?

8. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    It is a really tight labor market. Companies like UPS, FedEx and other large companies are having a hard time finding qualified candidates to hold a steering wheel for almost $40 an hour. I think those that really don’t want to haul cars won’t. Qualified candidates with these companies I mentioned can make as much as a good carhauler or more and not work near as hard.
    In the long run I am glad we have this shortage because it will keep pressure on new car manufacturers to pay a decent rate if they want their cars delivered.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Long ago a family friend took me to a yard in Northern Maryland. Within that yard was a unlimited Freightliner Cabover with a parking lot trailer capable of holding 8 classic cars top and bottom with a 5th wheel that was essentially 3 inches from the pavement.

I was told that if I want this job I am expected in Miami within 15 hours and back in 30 with these cars and no damage to them. I was further told that the truck is more than capable of 150 if necessary and logging was something that if it was a problem it will be taken care of to keep the cars moving.

Keep in mind this was the late 80's in those days. Classic cars were not that expensive as they are now. But if I did scratch it it will come out of the 1500 dollar cash paycheck each week. Just need to be in Miami and back every 30 hours.

I don't know about you, if you recall I-95 in say Richmond in those days had a series of Toll gates, something like 7 or so for 5, 10 or 25 cents across the city I don't see making that round trip in 30 hours hell raising truck or not.

The money being offered as salary in those days was a great temptation, I would have been able to buy a house within a few years anywhere in that region except Howard and Prince Geo. County.

Suffy Transport Thanks this.
  10. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    I'm curious what you consider "amazing pay and benefits?"

Hhelton, roshea and Suffy Transport Thank this.
  11. Suffy Transport

Mar 13, 2019
    Joplin, MO
    Company drivers make 25% of whatever the truck grosses for the week, plus we have several bonuses available, passenger policy, medical insurance provided with 60% being company paid and so much more including a one week paid volunteering opportunity.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.