Driver shortage real; at least in Alberta

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by uncleal13, Mar 23, 2018.

1. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I was talking with my sister in Edmonton this week. She does commercial insurance for a lot of motor carriers, construction and oil field companies.
    They are all telling her that they cannot find sufficient drivers, even with as little as one year experience.
    I said a lot of new people don’t like the life style, and the wages are not enough for the expenses we face on the road.
    We met at the Flying J in Sherwood Park to have supper in the Dennie’s restaurant. She asked how come the parking lot was full, but the restaurant was almost empty.
    I said you just made my point, wages are not high enough, they have to bring there own food and eat in the truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Even Jamie Davis towing had to pull out... ;-)

4. steve092

steve092 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Yeah the shortage is real, every company owner that I know is complaining that they have too many trucks sitting around because they don't have enough drivers. Myself I am having this issue as well

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  5. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    No one to blame but greedy truck owners and companies. You have paid peanuts for so long, cut each other’s throats on rates so you can get the load and pull it for pennies of profit per mile, and treated drivers not much better than slave labour.

Jazz1, okiedokie, peterd and 11 others Thank this.
  6. uncleal13

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    We just lost a contract hauling malt barley. Boss wanted a raise in the rate, Cargill wanted a 15% reduction. I guess they got it, two other companies are now hauling it.

7. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    My ltl company has been dumping unprofitable freight for two years now. Freight volumes are down, profits are way up.

What a concept.

8. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I see this in the automotive freight we haul. Outfits come in at the low ball rate, they last a month or two and quit. Then we get the call at triple+ the going rate while they scramble to find another full time carrier.

diesel drinker, Jazz1 and uncleal13 Thank this.
  9. jimbo47

jimbo47 Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2013
    southern MB
    Cargill trying it out in my area as well , asking a couple of long time haulers to retender contracts. But our biggest problem is Farmers coming in hauling grain for peanuts in wintertime.

special-k and uncleal13 Thank this.
  10. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I'm seeing a steady stream of grain haulers with tandem trailers coming to Thunder Bay. That can't be too profitable. Local outfit hauling grain out of west is all B trains.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    uncleal13 Thanks this.
  11. uncleal13

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    We did that in 2014 when the trains were far behind. Ran canola from Winnipeg region to the shipping terminals in Thunderbay.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.