Driver tells FMCSA he doesn't follow their rules

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Tb0n3, Sep 19, 2019.

1. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

This mentality is why this industry is in the state that it is. Not enough guys stand up to the system. More should speak up. You may be a 10 year "veteran" by today's standards. But your exactly what a fleet is looking for in a employee. It's not about working longer, it's about having the right to pursue profits. The detention is peanuts. If eld's were proven to add safety, I would have one. If it would protect me and my equipment from the dimwitted eld trucks tailgating and speeding in construction zones I would have had one before they were mandated. Sheep will be sheep. Your looking at it very blindly. Go get your own ride, and come back and explain how they are safer or add to your bottom line.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I'm convinced the people that love ELDs are the people who dont have the guts to say no I'm tired and going to sleep I'll call you in 8 hours.

4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I am not what's wrong with the industry man. First of all, in my mind, there is nothing to stand up to. I just prefer elogs, just like you prefer paper. Pursue what profits? My paychecks are really not all that different between paper and elogs. I've done both. If anything, I've seen better money with elogs overall. Regardless of how you log, it still takes 10 hours or so to run 650 miles, so dont give me that about chasing profits. If the ability to fudge weren't taken away, nobody would care how hours were documented.

5. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Quite contrare....my friend. It dont make a difference what I use to log. If I dont feel safe to run, I wont do it. I just like not having to do paperwork. Touch the screen, go to sleep. Nothing about my job has changed that much from paper log days, other than the ability to fudge. For whatever reason, you dislike them. Your prerogative. Doesnt make you a better driver or me a worse driver, or less of a contributor to the industry. I am just shocked that after nearly 2 years, this is still a topic that angers so many drivers. Like I've said before, we cant be mad. Many drivers pushed this by killing people, so the powers that be, the ones WE put in power did what they have an obligation to do, and that's protect everyone how they see fit to best of their ability.

6. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    And also, what makes you think all owner ops wanna be stuck in the 1970s and still wanna run paper? Many like electronic.

7. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    I do get it, that it has helped some fleet drivers keep there payroll department on the up and up. That is a different situation. Your claiming to make more money with it in the name of safety but your making the same claims we are. The issue with the companies screwing drives has nothing to do with eld. It holds them more accountable for it maybe at best. Not all of them. Some are still editing them in back offices or using them to intimidate drives to work when tires just because the box says you have time.

Btw not everyone runs like you state. Some of us dont chase miles. 650 miles, wow. Big day for me is 350. Might take 6 hours or 12 hours. Never know.

If you have any business experience or education. You will take every purchase and justify the need. Why do I need to purchase new equipment that add no safety, and no profit? A eld will not pay for itself. You can't go around making to many of these purchases and stay in business long.

But your not, your a employee and have to obey company policy, you have zero choice. Your forced to honor your company policy.

If it actually added profit or broke even and added safety a lot of us guys would have had it before the fleets.

Wise up, its Goverment/Corp. control.

PoleCrusher Thanks this.
  8. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

I was born in 1980 so Idk. I have zero problem with electronic logs as in a electronic version of paper. Thought about switching to them. There is still a cost. SECOND, it's no ones GD business where me, or my equipment is at or tracked. The only person that has the right to demand my location is my wife.

I resisted her a few times to. I fight everyone equally.

70’Nova, PoleCrusher and bryan21384 Thank this.
  9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Please point out where it says how much you’re allowed to make over your expenses. The guy said he wants the government to regulate how much brokers can steal (his words) from truckers. So what’s to stop the government from saying how much we as truckers can steal from the shippers? Slippery slope is what I was eluding to.

PoleCrusher and jamespmack Thank this.
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Well, the regs that were in force when you started trucking demanded to know your location. If it's such a burden why did you stay in the industry once you found out?

Tb0n3 and bryan21384 Thank this.
  11. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Valid point, you do have have to notate locale even on paper. Your BOL somewhat tells on you too....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.