Drivers burned inside concrete mixer trucks hazard

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Jimjim15, Jun 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Down in American Texas were @RockinChair is from we don’t see oshkosh front discharge mixers down here. 99% rear discharge conventional mixers. Not much oshkosh period. It is mainly Beck mixers on straight trucks in my region.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jimjim15

Jimjim15 Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2022
    Like your last post under a different name. You type much and say little. If you have nothing to add to saving drivers from injury and spreading the word. Then kindly give your fingers a rest and move on. Unless of course you have something of value to add. Safe travels. No need to be rude. I’m sure the people injured don’t appreciate your babble. Spread the word save a driver the hoses need to be encased they are burning drivers. Had nothing to do with maintenance. They randomly burst. Save a driver.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    As a lifelong mechanic I'll tell ya straight up that a heater hose randomly bursting with absolutely zero signs of fatigue, chaffing or damage is EXTREMELY rare. In fact, I have not come across that in my entire career.

Not saying it can't happen, I'm simply stating that the odds of it are so small that it almost never happens.

wis bang and W923 Thank this.
  5. W923

W923 Heavy Load Member

Feb 28, 2022
    Was thinking the same thing but I did see one blow once on a old cat dozer that was putting compression in the coolant but it was also a 30-40 year old hose with signs of old age

AModelCat Thanks this.
  6. W923

W923 Heavy Load Member

Feb 28, 2022
    A few thoughts before I respectfully decline to comment further
    You can never eliminate all risks
    The heater core could have burst and the same hot water could have been sprayed out of the vents if the fan was on
    Jim Jim has an opinion that the hoses should be shielded which may be very easy or almost impossible…I haven’t seen the truck
    Jim Jim should look at the truck himself (if he hadn’t already) and come up with a better solution for bringing heat into the cab and then submit this to Oshkosh
    I think everyone else should stop wasting their time replying to this thread
    That’s all I’ve got
    Have a great day everyone

Phoenix Heavy Haul Thanks this.
  7. Jimjim15

Jimjim15 Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2022
    I’m certainly glad you have not come across it by all means. However, the facts are it has happened repeatedly. Check the statistics with your local burn units and oca cement companies. Seriously it is a huge concern. Most importantly, even if it saves one driver from a possible death or suffering catastrophic injury from a faulty design that should be enough of a reason to spread the word. Glad you have not seen it in your career....however you are seeing it on these forums. Stay well safe travels

8. Jimjim15

Jimjim15 Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2022
    Does anyone know what the manual states on these hoses life expectancy? Is there a time frame or mileage allotment guided toward replacing them? We do not see that anywhere in our research. If the experienced truckers out there know of a manual or guide please share. Safe travels. The hoses need to be covered with some sought of shield. To add we have already ask of OshKosh to change the design or modify the trucks. They have not and still causing injury. Safe travels stay well

9. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Yeah the rear discharge mixers seem to be a thing of the past around here. There's a couple, but they're getting harder to find

10. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    "Oshkosh Blogger"..."Last post under a different name"...

YOU are funny...

Do you realize that IF you actually get a law suit going; the truck owner's isnurance will be first in line to collect everything the laid out treating this injury?

Oh yeah, the root cause is still maintenance...time for you to wake up.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.