Drivers comfortabilty

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by NCmike65, Nov 4, 2018.

1. NCmike65

NCmike65 Bobtail Member

May 10, 2015
    I really think trucking companies need to get the big picture when it comes to driver's still having a life outside of the truck and within the truck. To start, every long distance Driver should have all of the comfortabiltys in their truck to make life in the road a bit easier. Like tvs, refrigerators, APU's and in truck navigation that actually works. They should also consider that not every truck Driver wants to be away from home for weeks at a time! 34 hour reset is crap when you have family at home you want to spend time with and do things with when you're off. Stop being so money hungry that you forget about what family as well as friends mean to alot of drivers. The workload and family time needs to be balanced way better! Stop working the hell out of drivers for low pay and stop making it out that drivers need to always be gone to make a decent paycheck! Enough is enough! I've been in the trucking industry over 20 years now. And even though it's gotten some what better, it's still not great! Most companies are more concerned with their bottom lines than they are about the men and women out here that's making your bottom line! Honestly saying, the majority of companies out there sucks! And I've worked with a few of them. You want to talk about your turnover rate?! Think about how you treat your drivers honestly! So you Actually listen to their wants and needs? There are a handful of companies that I take my hay off to because they figured out what really matters. The trucking industry is big enough that you should always put your drivers best interest first because without is, there's no you! Work more with drivers that are use to driving all over the US and for those who don't want to. I for one hate any mountain driving! But they're are still companies that are so money hungry that they don't care! They will still send you in the mountains and jeopardize your life and others just to meet their bottle lines! To all the drivers out there, stop settling and voice your real concerns! Remember, it's you that makes it possible for these companies to exist!

diesel drinker and Kyle G. Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I just texted a driver something along those lines the other day.
    Companies only look at the availability of the truck and the load. The driver’s welfare is of little or no concern.
    Also safety. Trucking companies are only concerned about safety to the extent that the government makes it their concern, or the insurance companies premiums effect the bottom line.

Jazz1 and diesel drinker Thank this.
  4. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Your kidding right? This is trucking isnt it?

Lonesome, buddyd157 and al_huryn Thank this.
  5. Av8torcrj

Av8torcrj Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2015
    SNI is putting APU, fridge, inverter and memory foam mattress in all the new trucks, an effort to make traveling in their equipment more enjoyable. SNI has a genuine commitment to safety first. You’ll never be asked to do something illegal or against your better judgement. They have great part time options. Drive when you want. No significant complaints after 1.5 years.

Bluedew Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Drivers must take responsibility for doing due diligence when looking for a job.
    The company makes an offer, so the driver either takes the job or doesn't.

7. aramil248

aramil248 Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Maine
    yeah we know you have been awake for x hours waiting on a load so here is one that requires you to use up most of your 11 to get it delivered on time

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    uncleal13 Thanks this.
  8. LoSt_AgAiN

LoSt_AgAiN Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2018
    I hate snow. I hate mountains. I hate nighttime. I hate sunrise. I hate sunset. I hate truckstop. I hate laundry day. I hate public showers. And public toilets. But like @JonJon78 said. This is trucking. Suck it up and keep on trucking or find a job that will coddle your every lil dislike.

9. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I have the perfect solution for you, go buy your own truck! Stop wining about something you have no control over and change yourself not them. This is America, you have the freedom to go out and start your own company and run it any way you want. And remember it's not about you it's about the customer, yes the customer the ones who make it possible for you to make a living, weather you work for a mega or are an O/O it is them you work for, it's called service and thy are who we serve to make our living.

10. Heavyfab

Heavyfab Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2018
    I've been lurking here for a while, just reading and reading and reading. I'm a welder by trade (specifically structural fab). I'm taking a long hard look at getting into trucking partly because of some massive life changes opened up the opportunity to go do what ever the hell I want with no real reason not to.

On to my point lol. I'm reading complaints and good points that's stem from different companies, it occurs to me that what you strip away the specifics trucking is just another skilled trade with the same overall issues as every other industry/trade. Here's the deal every company out there hires people to perform a job. The reason being, to grow the company, period that's it. They don't care about you any more than they have to. Some companies figure if they treat their people well, better than other companies then they will retain the talent, others litteraly think "don't like it? to bad there's more where you came from. And their right. Both views are right.

So it comes down to this. If you don't like your current job do something. Go talk to them, get others to talk to them. You can try to force change but I promise if it's at that point you will suffer backlash. Or go find another place or means to collect a paycheck. Don't like those options ? You really have one realistic option left. Shut the hell up and accept less.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I really like your last paragraph; it's straight, honest and to the point.
    Where is your location? Maybe we can point you in a good direction for trucking where the paychecks are good.

Bluedew and Lonesome Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.