Drivers don't look like drivers anymore

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by 2old, Aug 5, 2018.

What kind of hat do you wear?

1. Cowboy

22 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. Baseball cap

313 vote(s)
    52.7%
  3. No hat

198 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Tilley

6 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. Sombrero

21 vote(s)
    3.5%
  6. Sock or Ski

5 vote(s)
    0.8%
  7. Crash helmet

29 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Dabrian

Dabrian Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2015
    North Carolina
    I wear my browns when I'm on the clock...

2old Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2old

2old Heavy Load Member

Jun 12, 2018
    I never heard the term 'browns'? Is that a uniform - for UPS?

4. Wildey

Wildey Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2015
    NC
    When driving always wore a loose fit jeans, usually wrangler 13wmz or similar. Boots depending on what I needed. Always preferred a walking heel cowboy style boot, like Justin's or ariat. Shirts of a button up or pearl snap collered variety, sometime I wore a basic pocket tee.

After 25 years of this I think it is no wonder john q public looks down on us. On any given day in any given t/s you can see and/or smell our so called drivers that look like they just stumbled out of the homeless shelter. Is it so hard to take a shower, if only every couple days and keep yer clothes clean?

Swiss Mountain Dog, L84APPT and 2old Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There are some places you should not shower in.

I recall one in Ohio that featured bio hazard in form of blood from human, probably someone taking a drug hit. I can only imagine the exposure if he or she spilled any onto the deck etc.

Taking a shower is good, but takes so much time relative to where you need to be at after the end of the days driving. Taking away one or two hours to park, shower and get going again would be worth a 100 miles or more. Enough to make you late if you did not watch it. And cut into your weekly earning.

L84APPT and 2old Thank this.
  6. 2old

2old Heavy Load Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Your post hit me like a ton of bricks. I hadn't given any thought to what you wrote; "Taking a shower is good, but takes so much time relative to where you need to be at after the end of the days driving. Taking away one or two hours to park, shower and get going again would be worth a 100 miles or more". It made me really stop and think. Way back when I was OTR, a daily shower was as important to me as eating. I can probably count on one hand the number of times when I went without a shower. However, that was before electronic logs. I often cheated by driving further than I should have to get to a particular truck stop where I could get a good shower. Wow! I can only speculate what I might have to do nowadays.... I'm a real primadonna about getting my daily shower lol..

old time and Swiss Mountain Dog Thank this.
  7. L84APPT

L84APPT Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2018
    I don't believe I'm a prima donna (despite me need to bathe or get my nails done). I HAVE to shower to wake up. I'm not a coffee/soda/caffinated drinker. I consider a shower my cup of coffee in the morning; it gets me up and going after a full night of sleep but it sounds like sleeping patterns become erratic OTR.

8. 2old

2old Heavy Load Member

Jun 12, 2018
    I think you are smart to understand that trucking has a way of turning your routines up-side-down.

Funny... a morning shower has always been, how I get my blood circulating. Though without a cup (or two) of coffee, it's hard to get my wheels turning. Keep in mind that I was OTR back in the 70's.. That said, my shower habits were loosely fitted around whenever it was available. I will say that it generally came before I kicked my boots off and slid between my clean sheets. When I pulled the bunk curtain back and my boots on, all I wanted was coffee and two eggs easy-over. Then, I wanted to hit the road.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Swiss Mountain Dog Thanks this.
  9. L84APPT

L84APPT Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2018
    What? No bacon?!:p

2old Thanks this.
  10. 2old

2old Heavy Load Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Only if its crispy

11. DrummingTrucker

DrummingTrucker Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    You stinky #####..take a shower

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.