Drivers License at Shipper/Receiver

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by Burned, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Burned

Burned Bobtail Member

May 21, 2006
    Found another very anoying thing at some shippers/Receivers. They ask you to produce your drivers license and write down your driver license #. Personaly I have a problem with it, it is my lisence and what ever information they want they can get from my company ID.
    In this day and age ID theft is much more on the forefront, How do we know they (the shipper/receiver) have the proper rules/procedures in place to safe guard the information they collect from your drivers license?

I am making a point to report this practice to my company and they deal with it accordingly.

Just wondered how other drivers feel about this practice?

Burned

DSK333 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kc0rey

kc0rey Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Macomb, IL
    I am very conscious of ID theft.....ever since my Mother-in-Law had hers stolen.
    Your concerns are good ones and that is also a reason not to have your SS# on your drivers license.

I would simply refuse and let the company deal with it.

4. luvmyhubby

luvmyhubby Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Sidney MI
    I just had to re-order checks and when I did the operator told me more than once not to put my drivers license number on them for any reason....if they suggest not putting them on our checks, I dont think a shipper/receiver has any right to it either....

keepntruckin Thanks this.
  5. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2006
    K-TOWN,ON.CA
    Not that it has happened to me very often, but it has happened where a shipper or receiver wants my DL....
    And just like you I DONT LIKE IT!!! I beleive if they trust you to haul the freight they can darn well trust you while you sit in the truck waiting to get loaded or whatever the case may be!!!

6. DONNALOU

DONNALOU Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Louisville,Kentucky
    Hubby and his friend refused to give them their dl. He told them his company driver number, and to told them they could call the company. They have no need for that info.

7. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    I agree with you totally and get the point completely!

There is NO law that says you have to provide your information from your driver's license...YOU can just show it to them to give proof but writing INFO down from your license...YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THAT.

8. dstockwell

dstockwell Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Georgia
    No way I would give it to them.

9. basscase_2000

basscase_2000 Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Only place I have ever submitted to recording of CDL info, was at High security military installations. I do haull some of that stuff, so I have to submit, but they already have it and just use my copy to verify. Hell, they even have my social security number on the paperwork, as well as my old military security clearance. Like I said, if anyone would have that info, they would. lol

Average Joe shipper/ reciever won't get that info, and has no need for it. I will refuse to even show it to them. I am there, my truck number and trlr are correct, and they have my employee number. All are in hand before I get there, they want anything else, they can get someone else to haul the freight.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. Harryjr71

Harryjr71 Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2006
    i went to pick up a load @ the Barnes & Noble in Jamesburg Nj going to Atlanta Ga.They wanted my license and me to put my hands on this fingerprinting pad plus a picture.i was like geez just to take a t/l of books.i refused that load and anything going to and from B & N.

keepntruckin Thanks this.
  11. earthbrown

earthbrown Medium Load Member

May 27, 2006

Due to some sort of law after 9-11, with FOOD especially the shipper is suppose to check and record ID. Not all places do, but most of the majors, do at most locations, there is always a slow progression.

Some places even copy the licence on the copier. I bet you get fired if you are a company driver and refused to produce the licence at a shipper. And good luck if you get another job after that.

K

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.