Drivers License issue.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by onefastpony, Oct 19, 2017.

1. onefastpony

onefastpony Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Valrico, FL

First off I wanted to say hello and thank you all for so much information that you make available. I’m currently trying to get my CDL and have been looking at a few companies, mainly Prime and Wil-Trans. I’ve been in contact with recruiters for both companies and I was even given a class date with Prime. I actually preferred Wil-Trans over Prime due to driver conveniences and was still speaking with the recruiter after Prime had already offered me a class date.

Here is the issue though. While speaking with the Wil-Trans recruiter he asked me if I had applied to other companies and been denied. I did let him know in our beginning conversations that I was looking at other companies. I did let him know that TMC was one of the companies that I had looked at but after submitting my online application and me calling the next day, the person at TMC stated that they didn’t have a position for me. Ok, I moved on. I let my Wil-Trans recruiter know that I didn’t know the reason that TMC said that they wouldn’t hire me. Then I mentioned to him that the only reason that I could possibly think of is that my license at the time was suspended in Texas without my knowledge, I live in Florida with a Florida license.

Now travel back in time to 04/2001. I was traveling back to Florida from Texas after just have getting out of the Army. I was Pensacola on I-10 with a trooper pulled me over. He said I was speeding and was going something like 73mph. He said I was in a construction zone, to which the only thing around me was forest. Regardless, he gave me a ticket for $150. So, in between me getting moved in and traveling, I lost the ticket.

Once I got back home I did turn in my Texas license for a Florida license and have had no issues at all with a license suspension until…….I go to the DMV here recently to try to get my CDL permit. The Florida DMV lets me know that my license is suspended in Texas and to contact them. I immediately knew it had to be because of the ticket that I had gotten sixteen years ago. So I went home and logged into the clerk of the court and got the required info showing the case had been dismissed and emailed it to the Texas DPS. I then got an email about a week later stating my license was now good in Texas since I had shown proof that the ticket was taken care of, regardless how.

As soon as I told my Wil-Trans recruiter this it’s like he got cold feet on me and said it was a unique situation, which I agree is kind of unique. He asked how long my license had been suspended for, I stated in Texas since 07/2001 until last week, so basically sixteen years. He said he would have to get with his supervisor to go over it with them, yet he hasn’t reached out to me today.

I then called my Prime recruiter and spoke with her and mentioned to her again asking her directly that is she remembered that I had the issue with my license in Texas to take care of and that it was now taken care of. She said, yes, she did remember. I let her know that I didn’t want to get to Prime and for them to say once I got there that they couldn’t accept me because of this situation. She said she would get back with me.

So…my biggest question is this. 1. Can I even get a CDL now since my license had unknowingly been suspended in another state that I didn’t even live in or had been to since I left; 2. If I can get a CDL still, am I only limited now to even lower companies due to this situation and earn less? Should I just bite the bullet and get the year experience?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Well.. Is you license currently suspended in Texas? If so you need to get that fixed.

As for your story with wil-trans... For future reference answer only what is asked. No speculation. That road leads to not getting a job. As for the "Has any other company denied you." may be an illegal question. It is definitely unethical. You could have been denied simply based on your location. I would have simply lied, or if you must be truthful respond "I've applied at several places, and am currently considering my option."

Ryan423 and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  4. onefastpony

onefastpony Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Valrico, FL
    ZVar,
    Thanks for the comments, and yes, I know my original post is lengthy, however I did include in it that my license situation in Texas has been resolved. I can now drive in Texas.

As far as not speculating. I don't want to get to wherever the school/company is after having quit my current job, just to be told that once I get there that they won't take me now because of the issue with my license in Texas.

12 ga Thanks this.
  5. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Get a copy of your driver license record. It's was about $15 at the courthouse last time I got one many years ago. That way you will know what the companies can see before they see it. You will be better prepared should any inconvenient questions pop up.

6. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    O/P ... Wil Trans, Jim Palmer, and Prime are 'similar' in their being 'choosy.' You may have to set your sights a little lower, with that hiccup. @Chinatown ... what say you?

crb Thanks this.
  7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Sounds like you need to fix the issue up with your speeding ticket you will find its only a temporary suspension till you pay the fine. Don't worry to much about companies asking you whether you've applied to other companies everyone does it and they know this, sometimes its more of a test just to check you out. But really its none of their business. I'd focus more on fixing the traffic infringement get that sorted out then either sign up with a company or pay for your own tuition.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    While I understand your worry...
    This industry is very much an industry of "What you say will be used against you" Not can, not may, but will.
    Be truthful up to what is legal (i.e. if they ask illegal questions don't play that game) but keep ypour mouth shut on anything, and never offer an opinion or guess. Again, it will be used against you.

9. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Do I understand correctly?
    You got your Florida license at the same time your Texas license was suspended?
    But you turned in your Texas license at that same time.
    Correct?
    Why don't you just tell them you've had a Florida license all this time?
    There was a mix up with Texas. It might show. Has been taken care of. That's all.
    Can't have more than one license.

10. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    That's why I suggested getting a drivers license record. If the Florida 16 year history doesn't show a Texas license suspension (and why would it) then don't go offering that info to companies.

If FL DMV gives you a cdl permit after proof you took care of the TX suspension, then job done. They wouldnt give you a permit for a license you are ineligible for.

11. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    After reading his original post it sounds to me that he received the ticket and while the ticket was in limbo.. between the police and the court...he got his Florida license. And he cleared it up anyhow. Like was said above if you're worried just get a copy of your Florida driving record if it's there they will see it if not don't sweat it. Good luck!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.