Drivers need to stand up for our own.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by The Gunny, Sep 8, 2008.

1. The Gunny

The Gunny Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Shelbyville, KY
    RickG,
    I agree, The problem is 3 million voices carry more weight then one.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    The Teamsters might be the organization that can provide what your looking for..

4. The Gunny

The Gunny Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Shelbyville, KY
    I'm not sure I'm looking for anything. All I'm trying to find out is why pro drives put up with all the crap the big company's keep putting on the drivers and then treating them like dirt.

5. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    Well, Then you are looking for the answer to the Million Dollar Question!!!!

6. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    The pro drivers don't put up with the crap from big companies . Pros get jobs with decent companies that respect drivers and pay well . Big companies have a turnover rate of over 120% . Hiring over 5,000 drivers a year how many pros do you think they have ?

7. The Gunny

The Gunny Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Shelbyville, KY
    Ok, What are the names of these company's that the pro's run for. I'm still on the look out for a good place to run. I'm starting with a company this week named A.N. Webber, have you ever heard of them? They sound good, I'm thinking that a small company may be the way to go. I guess I'll see. How do you pick a company to run for? What do you look for? Thanks up front for any help.

8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I just noticed you're in Shelbyville . I deliver out on Midland Industrial Drive once in a while . Tanker companies are pretty good . Superior Carriers has a terminal right off exit 4 , I-264 on Bells Lane . Trimac has a terminal off that same exit on Cane Run Road . A.N. Webber has a poor safety record . Their ISS-D recommendation calls for inspection when crossing scales and possibly roadside . http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SafeStat/CarrierOverview.asp?DOT=76507&WhichForm=safer

The Gunny Thanks this.
  9. The Gunny

The Gunny Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Shelbyville, KY
    Thanks for the info, I'll check out the tankers. Learn something everyday.

10. Etch-A-Sketch

Etch-A-Sketch Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2008
    The Peach State
    Heck, you can't even get some drivers to move thier trucks from the fuel islands while others wait. So how can we expect to all come togeather and support each other when we are rude as hell to each other.

Wen782, AfterShock and doubledragon5 Thank this.
  11. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    In a word, NO.
    Actually, they CAN, ...... they just don't or won't.

I bet we could overload this site with all the various reasons/excuses given.
    Well, ....... they probably have the "right", but they're probably usually wrong.
    I'd say shortstop.
    Those drivers who complain, but do nothing to rectify the situation(s) are the one's out in left and/or right field.

Majority rules?
    Whatever the opinions, I think they oughta be spoken.
    I'd venture to say not many company drivers have any idea what that means. I doubt most of them even look at the truck stop's fuel prices. Or figure out which states actually ARE less expensive for fuel. The price advertised doesn't always indicate a savings when the state taxes are factored in.
    Oregon?
    New Jersey?
    Georga?

Ever been quoted a cost for repairs, and the bill is higher than expected?
    I have.
    What drove the costs up?
    I'm glad y'all asked.
    *Rags used --- $3.00
    *Disposal of fluids and liquids. --- $3.00
    *Addition of fluids, oil, grease and/or liquids. --- $3.00
    How many rags did the mechanic use?
    MAYbe one, --- to wipe his brow.
    How much fluids and liquids were required to be disposed of?
    Zero
    Zilch
    Nada.

How much additional fluids, oil, grease and/or liquids were added?
    See above.

It was an electroinc problem -- more like an adjustment -- requiring minimal access under the hood, on the clean firewall. And some under-dash access in an even cleaner area.
    But the mechanic still managed to break a sweat.
    Otherwise, ..........
    Nine bucks for nuthin'.
    Their reasoning?
    They "average" the costs.
    The NEXT guy "might" require more rags, etc. --- etc.

Seems like that's akin to a restaurant overcharging customers for a meal on the pretext that SOMEbody "might" not be able to pay in the future.
    Thank yew, very much...............................
    ....................For finding the hidden taxes.
    Now pay 'em.
    Refusing to run tired is another way to eliminate that problem.
    If more drivers just learned how to say "NO", it would go a LONG ways toward putting an end to that practice. And until they do, (say "no"), the problem will continue. Necessity is the mother of invention.
    If it were "necessary" for a company to do better, or even just exist, they'd need drivers. If NONE of the drivers would drive tired, ---- as compared to those companies where MOST of their drivers will and do, ....................... see where I'm goin' with this?
    Majority rules.
    Only now I think they call it, "Democracy".
    But it ain't really, nor do I think it should be.
    And, ..................... I digress.
    My bad.
    BINGO!
    DIRECT HiT!
    BULLS EyE!
    No Bull Excrement!

Communication?
    Discussion(s)?
    Solutions?
    ~~~~ :smt102 ~~~~
    Who knows?
    I don't think all of us have tried that, ........ yet.
    And what do y'all reckon the odds of that happinin' are?

Believe it or not, there ARE drivers who, if presented the choice betwixt two choices, and all things being equal, only highest pay was the determining factor, would be perplexed if presented with:

Back-N-Forth Trucking is offering their drivers .31 cpm, with a guaranteed 3,000 miles a week. And a few weeks will be higher mileage. None fewer.
    Homtime is as promised, home every three weeks for three days, with a few runs by the home-20 during that three week time frame. They prefer you stick to y'all's understanding and acceptance of their preferences by showing up as scheduled, --- when y'all signed the dotted line.

Up-N-Back Transport is offering .28 cpm, with a guaranteed 3,300 miles a week. And sometimes a little fewer miles.
    But home time is no problem, there are plenty of (lesser paid) drivers to cover your loads should you decide to take a few extra days off.
    No problem.

PoP QUIZ!
    Which would y'all choose?
    WhY?

Ahhhhh!
    Those were the days!
    Weren't they?
    I remember.
    Do y'all?
    Sounds like good advice.
    That IS what you were after, .......... right?
    Well, ...... one "fact" is now is NOT a good time to get into being an O/O.
    Especially if they have little or no previous experience.
    OH!
    And another fact,.......................
    This ain't back in the day.
    NopE!
    This is the here and now.

Comparing then to now, is almost like comparing Washington apples to Florida oranges, ............ anymore.
    But the story is worth listening to.
    May not taste all that good.
    But in proper proportions and amounts, it should cure a thirst.
    And the taste just might be refreshing.
    Are you tellin' us you didn't learn ANYthing during that phone conversation?
    Hmmmmmmmmmm

I heard someone from OOIDA trying to impress on you how MUCH difference there is now, and the failure rate is huge for those who attempt the "freedom" of "being your own boss", and (too) often fall for a lease option scam, and/or tap themselves out financially, --- sometimes to the point of bankruptcy.

Wouldn't being aware of the high failure rates be learning something?

It's rough for those leasing and/or making BIG Big truck truck payments these days. Even well seasoned drivers aren't recommending now as a time to take the plunge.
    What do y'all know?
    What do THEY know?

But, SOME folks do it anyway.
    Take the plunge off the high dive
    into an empty pool.
    OuCH!
    Fail.
    And cry, "Momma never told me there'd be daze like this!"

:director2::director: ~~~ Can y'all hear Momma NOW? ~~ :biggrin_25525:

Was she wrong? :smt102
    ******************* DISCLAIMER ***********************
    I make these all comments in GENERAL terms, not directed AT anyone, just food for thought.

SOME folks just want to hear what they want to hear and disregard the rest.
    And SOME folks will shoot the messenger while ignoring the message.

Y'all can decide who's foot the shoe fits. :argue::tongue3:

Wolfshayde and FCW9 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.