Drivers new and old...don't be bullied.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by HillbillyDeluxeTruck, Aug 20, 2019.

1. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    I haven't see this mentioned much and I feel new drivers need to read this and understand that it IS NOT okay for shippers and receivers to treat us so poorly sometimes. As a flatbedder it doesn't happen much, mostly by ignorant forklift drivers, but when it goes beyond that I try to do everything I can to remedy the situation. When I ran dry van it wasn't uncommon to be yelled at by rude office workers, dock workers, etc. Completely uncalled for treatment.

This situation in particular started at my delivery 1st by signs at the gate saying to not enter the yard before checking in, do not park on the street, only enter from northbound. Then right next to those signs are ones telling drivers oncd loaded to strap their load on the street. Huh? So I parked and asked the forklift guy what he wanted me to do. "Go up the block and turn around in the old liquor store parking lot, then come back down and park on the street and unstrap". Now my load today was not tarped (lumber tarps are 24ftx27ft usually) but this company makes all drivers park on the 2 way street to untarp and unstrap. Now most drivers just do what we have to, to get the job done. But today I wasnt having it. I unstrapped in the parking lot up the road and pulled back down to their yard. I was brought in because they were empty. But told that some drivers have a 3-5hr wait sometimes. I went inside and was directed to some old man who I took up my concerns with and he literally couldn't care less what I had to say.

So here's where Im going with this. Dont be affraid to stand up for yourself. If you are uncomfortable with something, voice it. All those trucks that unstrap and untarp everyday on that street, just because they do it doesn't make it right. A lot of experienced drivers just suck it up and say "thats trucking", but we cant let it be a catch all. Some drivers think they're tougher or manlier because they dont care that they're in the street. We'll see how tough they are when a car smacks them.

As new drivers, dont be conditioned into just shutting up and taking the abuse.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I always strapped on their property, and if they wanted it tarped, I sure did it on their property,

I loaded late in laredo one evening, and they wanted it tarped, They wanted to go home, and I bet they sent someone out there 4 or 5 times to try and make me pull through the gate, it just slowed the tarping process way down. They were wrote off of my ever growing list of shippers anyway. lol

Owens corning in Co wanted you to pull off and park on top of a no parking sign to tarp. lol

My dad was not a trucker but did do a load now and then. He was the happiest and easyiest going guy you ever met, until he figured you needed a thrashing then he quickly turned plumb evil.
    He took a load to chicago for the first time and one of the dock workers was cussing him, he got out and adjusted his attitude a mite. All the others pulled him off and ask why he did it, and he told him, they said nhe didn't mean nothing, that is just how we talk. lol

4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Very good advise... And Very true, you should not be bullied into unsafe practices. But I will also say to Give respect to shippers and receivers... Yes even the bad ones, but especially the good ones.

I'm always very friendly at shippers and recievers and have actually gotten onto a first name basis with a few... And they remember me. More than once this has benefited me. As a few times, when I was really crunching for time, they have gone out of thier way to get me taken care of faster than I probably should have been. Even going as far as putting me on a door before someone who was there before me.

Give respect and usually you will receive respect in return.

5. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Some of this goes back to lazy drivers and the unobservant .
    I loaded at a place in st.louis last week that had plenty of signage instructing inbound driver on where to park while checking in ....not hard but a quik walk.
    Driver after driver blew right by up to the shipping office blocking the driveway and were pissed about backing out ...duh !

6. INRUT

INRUT Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Give respect and usually you will receive respect in return.[/QUOTE]
    This. Agree with OP, but everyplace is different. I can think of several places that wanted me to secure & tarp off property. If there’s a line of trucks waiting to load in a small area I’m all about getting out of way if safe. Several places working on road is probably safer then yard, plus if it’s summertime I’m scoping out shady areas.

7. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    That Cascadia had the lumber tarps wasn’t in no itchin hurry. The Western Star on the right hadn’t even unstrapped. But that Volvo 780 with the Fontaine Infinity had a conestoga kit. I figured he’d make the first move.

What about the 98 Pete with a Transcraft Eagle on a 1099? Never paid him no mind, he was the last one loaded.

8. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    This. Agree with OP, but everyplace is different. I can think of several places that wanted me to secure & tarp off property. If there’s a line of trucks waiting to load in a small area I’m all about getting out of way if safe. Several places working on road is probably safer then yard, plus if it’s summertime I’m scoping out shady areas.[/QUOTE]

I will always pull out of the way, but from what I read in the ooida publication (several years ago) was the reason they want you to pull of the property to tarp, is they are no longer responsible for you, while they ae if you are on heir property and they require a tarp.
    I am sure you have loaded at places that have nice scaffolding you pull in between and some even have a place to tie off, these companies have probably already bought a driver.
    I from day one when went otr I run my own numbers and it was to my benefit to be nice and respectful, even helpful on a lot of my accounts, but If a shipper or reciever wanted to be a prick, I could just as easily get right with them and would quicly delete them from the list I worked with, brokers too, you only got to jack me around once, and I didn't have to be nice about it either.

I will agree that drivers can cause some to be hard to deal with. I was loading shingles ar some kind of roofing material at a place that made shingles and rolled roofing, tar paper ,etc. They could not load my step from their docks, so I had to do some ticky backing and wound in between some buildings that was kind of tight. Then proceed to wait. I had already mentioned to the forklift operator that I had california legal axles on my step, so wanted to show him where I wanted the load. He got snarky and said he knew how to load and he didn't care anything about california, so I said, fine load it and if it isn't what I need you can do it again, your choice.
    This happened when he had me back up to the dock after I ask him of he had a way of loading the step there, which he said he could. lol
    Anyway I get back to where they were going to load and wait nearly 2 hours. there was an asphalt tanker back there in the alley unloading and he finished and needed me to pullout so he could get out about the same time the forklift operator finally came to load me. He told him he could just wait until he loaded me to leave. I told him no I will let him out, I was #### tired of guys like him thinking our time meant nothing, so I pulled dout of their and backed right back in.
    the fork lift operator apoligised to me. He told me the reason he didn't want me to leave is it took a lot of drivers up to two hours to get backed in there, he then told me he could see what I was talking about my axles and asked where I wanted it loaded. He turned out to be a pretty good guy, just had a bad day once in a while.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  9. azheavyduty

azheavyduty Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    I don't drive anymore but get trucks into my business. Today was a perfect example of many of this new generation of truck drive . I was asked yesterday if we could unload the truck early as he had an early appointment ro reload. I agreed and got to my shop at 5am as they requested. Truck showed up at 8:30. No reason, just "running late", could have called as my cell was on bol. Casually got out and unstrapped the first strap. Then walked next door to get a bottle of water. Came back about 15 minutes later and took 25 minutes to undo 9 straps. By then my guys had other things to do. When we unload trucks, we already pull the pallets off, get the truck on their way, then put the tile away. Instead we put each pallet away as we unloaded so we finished him about 2 p.m. and let him wait another 20 min for his paperwork. His dispatcher called about 10am to ask what the problem was and after I explained he just said "I'll bet he's on time next load"

10. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Great movie!

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  11. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    A couple of years ago A couple of years ago, 2 of us that jusyt run the extra board went over to the yukon for a border switch, his driver came in just a few minutes and he waited an hour of so, but mine never showed. This was like 4 in he evening. The next wave of them came at 2 am and he wasn't there either, but the drivers knew he was sleeping at white horse. he showed up at 3:30 the next evening and crawled in the sleeper. I got out and checked his trailer number, then knocked on the truck and told him he could have at least unhooked before going to bed., since he was late. He got kind of beligerent and told me he wasn't suppose toi be there for another 30 minutes. lol
    I however was not upset, as I was paid some 1400 bucks to lay over. lol

dwells40 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.