Drivers who have no house, apartment, car, or family: how much money have you saved?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by PowerOfSolitude, May 19, 2012.

1. Scape07

Scape07 Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Texas
    I can't speak for anyone else but I wouldn't live all the time in the truck. My "home" time would be spent seeing sights, camping or staying in a hotel depending on where I was. Most likely I would also spend a night or two in a hotel during my 5-6 week driving time as well.

The nice thing about not having many bills is that you have choices and can decide to do those things.

I was doing some calculations and it looks like I could do this for 20 years and have enough to retire on at 48 if I wanted to. I doubt I would want to go that amount of time with no home but I guess it is a possibility.

Onetruckpony and SheepDog Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruges

Ruges Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2010
    InMyTruck, USA
    10k per year is what you would save by living in the truck. And its not for everyone. While I dont truely live in the truck as I rent a room from my brother. I typicaly stay out on the road from April to Augest, Take September off, go back out nov/dec/first week of Jan. Take the last part of Jan, feb/march off.

I dont mind the long months on the road. As the only differance for me is at home I get better food, more TV channels and higher speed internet. In my truck my bed is more comfortable. While I do prefer my large workstation desk at home, The office chair I have in my truck for when I am on my computer is just as comfortable.

I guess there are probly a few activities I also miss while being on the road such as shooting, I dont get to do this on the road. Drinking, I typicaly dont drink while on the road, Paintballing, I love shooting me some people. But other then these pretty much everything I would do at home I can do in the truck. Which is gaming, I pretty much work and play video games.

But as for living in the truck, so much of it depends on the truck you have. If you dont have a good mattress, if you dont have a good place to sit, If you dont have a good TV/ and or computer, Your probly going to be one of the ones that does not like being out on the road.

4. Scape07

Scape07 Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Texas
    I think you could easily do better than 10K. I figure a $40K yearly pay number (first year, this would go up a bit over time) and about $10K a year in expenses (this is including various trips on off time and other fun stuff).

Onetruckpony Thanks this.
  5. PowerOfSolitude

PowerOfSolitude Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Money obviously does matter to me, or I wouldn't have started a thread asking drivers how much they've saved by living on the road. I said that money is not as important to me as separation from society. As it happens, this "cave-dwelling hermit" will push as hard for high wages as any of you upright family men, if only because having extra money to safeguard myself is never a bad thing. Whether I choose to live in a truck, house, or cave should therefore make absolutely no difference to you.

SheepDog, RickG, pattyj and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. PowerOfSolitude

Mar 30, 2012
    What drives down your wages as a family man is the same thing that drives down the wages of the childfree: the willingness of some people to work for low pay. Parental status in itself is irrelevant. If it happens to be the case that some childfree people are content to work for little money because their needs are extremely modest--well, that hardly sounds like selfishness to me. What I think you ought to be wishing for, if you want more money to support your family, is for your childfree coworkers to be more selfish--more determined to extract every penny they can for the work that they do. It really makes no difference how they intend to use the money.

nicholas_jordan and SheepDog Thank this.
  7. PowerOfSolitude

Mar 30, 2012
    :) Very helpful post. Thanks.

8. leaper

leaper Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Chandler, AZ
    10k? My rent alone is more than that, and I only have a 1 bedroom apartment. Then you factor in electricity, cable, internet, perhaps a home phone (does anyone still have one of those things? :biggrin_25522: ), water, sewer, trash, insurance, etc...

I'm sure it varies for everyone, but for my circumstances, the savings can be pretty substantial.

9. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    Just remember that even if you live entirely in your truck, it better not look like it to the IRS. There are some tax issues, standard deduction for meals, that the IRS will disallow if you say you live in your truck. Those allowances are for being away from home, and if you are always home then you can't take them. Make sure to get a good tax advisor familiar with trucking.

10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    O.K. , thanks for clarifying .

11. PowerOfSolitude

Mar 30, 2012

I'm sorry for being such a jerk about it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.