Drivers who have no house, apartment, car, or family: how much money have you saved?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by PowerOfSolitude, May 19, 2012.

1. BlackLions

BlackLions Road Train Member

Not sure if anyone answered it here or said it... maybe I'll start a thread if not. But if you live in the truck, have a PO box...but need to change your CDL to a different state, how can you do that if most states require you to have a physical address...? I'm actually surprised I was able to open a PO box in a different state, just by telling them I'm a truck driver...

SheepDog Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nicholas_jordan

nicholas_jordan Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2012
    temple texas
    that is gonna vary by state and by office and which if any officer you request for something like that, I struggled with the issue for over a decade and now have a physical address to which mail cannot be sent,....there is a place on the paper~work for one's DL to be sent to a PO Box but one has to be diligent not to miss it ......

rules vary, we get { too often } what is correctly called "an arbitrary" by which I effect to say some one thinks and makes a rule when there is not any such rule,....what I often do in such cases is mail directly to the state agency the most correctly worded letter I can compose as such a letter, if presented at the counter, conveys impart which counter- clerks will likely follow

In general, an honest effort to do legit should be honored at the bench of law ..... having a physical address on the DL at which one can be found by badged officer should be enough,....getting that to happen may take work

4. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I would be careful of the PO Box route in order to claim the per diem on federal taxes. It wouldn't pass an IRS audit.

A better route to take is have mail sent to a family member that agrees to let you list their house as your residence. I have even seen notes posted on company bulletin boards asking to "rent" a little closet space to store some clothes and collect the mail for you. The tax refund will more than pay for it.

SheepDog and nicholas_jordan Thank this.
  5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I never considered you a jerk. I misjudged you and I think your response was appropriate .

6. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Some Mail Boxes Etc and other similar companies rent out PO Boxes with "real" street addresses. That allows you to have packages sent (a lot of companies won't ship to PO Boxes) plus you can use that address on your license. Look into what's available around you.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  7. Scape07

Scape07 Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Texas
    I have done a lot of research on this and I may be able to clarify it. The Federal government has put into place new regulations dealing with homeland security in the past few years and one of those has to do with getting drivers licenses.

It used to be that a few states allowed you to use a mail forwarding service (popular with full time RVers) as a permanent address with which you could get a drivers license with. Now, there is only one state that allows this and it is South Dakota. In order for it to work, you must stay in a campground in SD at least once a year and have the management sign a form you take to the DMV stating that is your permanent address.

For every other state in the lower 48, you must show two documents that you are a resident of a permanent address such as a utility bill or property tax bill etc. Those of you who have not renewed in a while may not be aware of these in your state. As an example, Texas's new laws for these documents go into effect in May.

However, you are still able to claim residency at a family or friend's home in any state, they just have to fill out and sign a form for the DMV that you live there.

Hopes this helps to clear up any mis-information. You can still use a PO box or a mail forwarding service to get your mail, just not for a drivers license or anything of that nature.

8. GMCTtrucks

GMCTtrucks Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Amen!

(for some reason I need to write at least 10 characters?)

9. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    All true.
    Additionally FMCSA and state MVD's have nearly all joined NCIC to verify that you are a resident of the physical address that you claim. Thats why they want a water or gas bill. It is also illegal to be a vagrant in most states - Bouviers Law Dictionary describes Vagrancy as " Generally by the word vagrant is understood a person who lives idly without any settled home; but this definition is much enlarged by some sta-tutes, and it includes those who refuse to work, or go about begging"...

Bottom line, your government does not want old school drifters hopping in a truck and drifting around without being able to contact you.

10. banjo317

banjo317 Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Plano, Texas
    If you don't have family or friends that are willing or able to offer you their address as residence for your CDL, there are homeowners who will rent a bedroom in their house, with kitchen/bath/garage or other access privileges. I'd prefer going to a long term storage center and renting a storage space for any valuables. You can then use the homeowners address as yours for purposes of CDL residency. If you're only going to "come home" a few days out of the month that simple room would do. Sure beats the expense of renting an apartment that you'd still only see a few days per month. I'd think the homeowner/landlord would be pleased to rent out an unused bedroom to someone who isn't there very often. Ought to be very inexpensive bedrooms rents in small outlier towns near the drivers main terminal and desired state of residence. A quick look at the dfw area craigslist: one bedroom apartments going for $600-900; apartment sharing or house bedroom rent around $300-500; out around Tyler $200-400 bedrooms with house privileges for rent. Might even ask around, ya never know, you might find someone willing to rent a bedroom to a mostly not there trucker for a hundred bucks a month. Ya got your residency requirements for your CDL.

nicholas_jordan Thanks this.
  11. nicholas_jordan

nicholas_jordan Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2012
    temple texas
    Cite? Exact Bill number and / or Agency of Jurisdiction and / or cases - statute - prior decisions & any tidbit or lead on where I can find this as I have been using "send drivers license to PO Box" and will be in a bind if this is as stated. I cannot afford residency with all the details. I do have an electric bill that shows actual physical place of residence but "not by word nor deed but by badge alone" may anyone have any business on the lot other than the property owner.

I have been instructed to ....

Never mind the details, please city any Texas matters that you may have any information on.

Thank you in advance, Nick

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.