driveway culvert width? Highway tractor + 53' trailer

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rollin coal, Apr 24, 2017.

1. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    After you have your base and it is compacted, top it with some crushed asphalt. Talk about smooooooth

SAR and DDlighttruck Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    I put down 40 tons on #1 reclaimed from a well site and then added another 10 tons beside my entrance and let it pack. Topped with 20 tons of 304 which made it like a concrete pad. I still have about a ton or two of 304s. To top any spots or add a little more after entrance settles.

4. Al. Roper

Al. Roper Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Bakersville NC
    If you have that heavy black soil, probably #2's, then some #4's. Then top it with dense grade road base(or as some of the dirt guys call it, pug). Has fines, dust, 57's,67's, 2"etc. Gets damp and rolled over, tight as concrete. All gonna depend on what ya got underneath.

SAR, 4mer trucker and DDlighttruck Thank this.
  5. LoJackDatHo

LoJackDatHo Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2017
    Lime stabilize It first. Blade off top soil, lime, then 2's and top with CA6. If you can, you could try to get millings. Sometimes places darn near give it away. But no matter what, lime first will give you a strong base so your rock, whatever size you use, doesn't "disappear". Spend a little more upfront, and save the time and money fixing it later over the long term. Actually, see what it would cost to have it oiled and chipped. That's what we did at the farm, it's a lot nicer than just rocking it.

6. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    You want road base. Go with 6-8" of compaction. That is what the county requires here but they also require 2 80# bags of cement mixed in per every yard of material. This setup makes the stuff #### near as hard as a 4" slab. But 1 bag per yard will still yield good results and I dount you would have any issue with it.

7. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    @rollin coal
    Just make shure that at the point where the trailerwheels make the shortest part off the turn (which would be around where you planned the culvert) there reinforce it .
    In a wet periode that area will be under most strain.

8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    30' in summer becomes 20' with winter snow plowed.

9. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    That's typically not an issue in TN

cnsper Thanks this.
  10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I'm on schedule and well under budget with my new driveway. It ended up being 685 feet long after I got it laid out exactly like I wanted it. A nice turn-around with plenty of space and enough room to park 3 trucks/trailers in there if need be.

Ended up renting equipment to do everything myself. I'm glad I listened to somebody on that. I never realized how easy it was to get any kind of equipment you need. The only thing I'm farming out on this is the dump trucks bringing rock in and that's going to take about 250 tons +/-.

Been trucking some short 4 day work weeks here recently trying to bust ### doing that to make as much as I can while the getting is good. Then working the weekend on this little project. Should be finished in a couple of weeks.

11. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Sounds like fun.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.