Driving a Truck vs Mowing Grass.....

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by LawnGuyHouston, Apr 30, 2021.

1. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    It’s tough
    With a mega I made 30k my first year. Jumped to a local small-mid size company- year 1 I made 75k in the pandemic hauling gas, and to this year on pace to making 100k. I work avg 5-6 days a week which is normal working 12s. That being said its doable. Plenty of opportunities..
    You must keep your license and driving record clear.
    You got a newborn and I wish you and your family well, however I recognize the game today and divorce rates and the family is being split left and right. One thing to consider is that if that were to ever happen a cdl is a golden ticket to every city in America if you ever need to pack up to be closer to your child you can get a good paying local job wherever.
    And with a family you will need a local job
    The hard part is can you risk a potential low income year to get the “experience” these companies want.12 mos clean is all it takes.
    You can have a great first year too but it’s a risk

Dockbumper Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Everyone has a different story. Mine is that after 20 years driving buses on a Class B CDL, I took a $500 CDL upgrade class and took a job as a truck driver. I hired on with J Rayl because they have a terminal 3 miles from my house, and I made about $60k my first year, was home for around 48 hours most weekends (home Friday afternoon, back out Sunday afternoon).

I’d note that they do have a Houston yard that they run out of, and they do hire new CDL graduates (5-6 week paid training).

Speed_Drums and TripleSix Thank this.
  4. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Never mow another mans grass

TripleSix and Dockbumper Thank this.
  5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Whatever you decide, include your spouse in the decision.
    Many stories about drivers getting divorced because they don't spend enough time at home.
    OP working 4 days off a couple months. Don't think you will come anywhere close to that trucking.
    Maybe if you get a local dump or concrete truck job.
    With a young family I would try to increase the income with the business you have. Hindsight will be 20-20.
    Good luck with the path you chose.

wis bang, Dino soar and OldeSkool Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Not all marriages are flawed to the point of divorce.
    Truckers that have been married 20, 30, 40 years is not uncommon at all.

7. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Personally I’d stick with what you’ve got. In a big city like Houston you have almost unlimited growing potential. Like has been said, even staying local with a truck you will be working 14 hour days most of the time plus any commute you have to work.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  8. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    :confused::rolleyes:

9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    stay where you are as a landscaper. no micro-management, no searching late at night for truck parking, no closed restaurants, no loading dock jerks, no traffic jams, no drug screening, no back stabbing from coworkers, no breakdowns and waiting sometimes DAYS for road service, no freezing yourself to death with a breakdown in winter,

cuz if you do get into trucking, you'll be looking forward to retiring, and finding a "side job"......like landscaping.

stay put, expand your business, live a much happier life, and lifestyle...as a landscaper

10. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Buddy needs to buy a Lawn Mower!:D

GYPSY65 and OldeSkool Thank this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    How long were you a trucker?

buddyd157, TripleSix and tarmadilo Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.