Driving a Truck vs Mowing Grass.....

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by LawnGuyHouston, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you want skin cancer and premature aging from the sun and hands with purple spots that look like someone beat them with a hammer, stay with lawncare.
    Don't let a trucker tell you not to become a trucker. If it's so horrible, why are they still doing it?
    Why don't they go to welding school or start a lawn care business?

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    LawnGuyHouston,

Just for Grins and Giggles, trot on down I-10 and/or I-35 to the Petro, T.A. (Travel Centers of America), Flying J/Pilot, Love's) as well Independent Truck Stops, preferably in Daylight, and Don't Walk but Drive around these Businesses, as well park and peruse the interiors.
    They are what You would be dealing with in Trucking. Some Locations Nationwide are BETTER as well WORSE.
    - - - -
    Regarding Trucks:
    How Do You Feel About Cameras Watching You Drive (and maybe beyond in the Cab)??
    How do You feel about Lane Deviation (unintentional Drift as well New and Old Construction Zones [old/new lines]), Braking, Proximity Alerts While Driving??
    Do You Like:
    Automatic or Manual Transmissions??
    Swivel Seat or Stationary?
    Concise Directions?

Every Occupation Has Their Good and Bad Bits.
    "Nuff said"!

CHEERS!!

tscottme Thanks this.
  4. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Lol good point Chinatown. I always like your posts.

GYPSY65, Dockbumper and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    Lot’s of good write-offs with being self-employed. Mileage deduction, home office deduction, getting paid in cash deduction, etc.:p

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I see by your avatar, you let your hair grow out after getting out of the Marines.

7. MericanMade

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    That’s me four months after shoulder surgery. Couldn’t lift the Wahl clippers up high enough to buzz the back of my head. So, I decided to just go with the long hair. My man-boobs look pretty good, too, huh?

Speed_Drums, spindrift and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i don't have any grass to mow...funny story, a man that was related to my late aunt (his brother married her), had a VERY small yard...the grassy area measured all of about 5 square feet.

all he needed was a push mower.

what did he do..??

went out and bought a Toro yard tractor, that he had a son of a gun time, trying to make turns.

his reason for spending (back then) nearly $1,000..??

he always wanted one.

retired after 48 years.....

too long.

Chinatown and OldeSkool Thank this.
  9. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    if it's so horrible, why are they still doing it, or did it..??

cuz no one smacked us on the back of the head, and told us the truth about the industry.

back in my earlier years, all i'd ever see from the driving schools was a picture of a hand with a fistful of money.

no one ever mentioned the long hours, the inconveniences, or the lifestyle. remember too, no cell phones..???? no laptop computers..???

after spending xx amount of money for schooling, it was more dumber to NOT at least try it out, before realizing that money was wasted or ill spent. one cannot ever make up that money if he quit before even trying, especially when one has family.

once INTO the industry and have family to support, bills to pay and health care for that family, sometimes one becomes "stuck" and cannot get out of it for the same pay, benefits that is NEEDED to keep the family fed, clothed, and a roof over thier heads.

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  10. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i too have man boobs.....

jus' sayin'.......

11. MericanMade

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    "If I had man-boobs, I'd never leave the house" doesn't sound like a saying.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.