Driving after leaving a mega....did it get better or worse?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by VA CDL Holder, Aug 19, 2021.

1. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    The biggest company I've driven for was Western Express. With van and flatbed combined, it was probably a couple thousand trucks. The now defunct Builders Transportation had around 400. I did local for a bit, and a couple of 1099 gigs, til I found a comfort spot. I feel like all megas, or smaller companies that have "mega-abilites" are pretty much the same. I feel like the 1099 gigs are pretty much the same. I've been able to make all of those situations work for a period of time. Made pretty steady money at all of them at one point or another. I tend to think it's on the driver, regardless of where he or she works. I don't know if one way or another is better for sure, because I can say good things about everywhere I've been. If I had to pick one, I'd probably lean towards megas or smaller companies with "mega-abilities."

nredfor88 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Good replies and if I can ever get back to the USA with out a shot, I’ll look up anything that is not a mega for a job. I will add that the suits in any mega seem to be always trying to make themselves look good for that next step up. Human nature is what it is.

4. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    IDK, my experience at Swift has been quite different than folks here describe about megas. Never feel I get micromanaged. Safety folks have been more helpful to me than problematic. Actual, haven't had a problem with safety. Had a couple of minor disagreements, but nothing of any consequence.
    I run reefer and very rarely am I without a load. I can only think of twice I finished a load without having my next one.
    As for pay, I'm at 53.5 cpm. Not great, but not bad. I know the driver leaders and planners I deal with. My terminal manager is a really good guy.
    Today's a good example. Termimal manager calls me directly. My next load had plenty of time on it. Wanted to know if I could take a local load that delivers at midnight. They are having a problem finding a driver. Even gave me an extra $75 just to take the load. So, I agreed. It was going to a place I've been to a couple times before. So, get there, hook up to trailer and grab paperwork, to include scale sheet, left by previous driver. Load had a problem. Like 1400lbs over on the tandems problem. Previous driver got from Utah, where the load originated, to SoCal with the weight problem. I had a bit of wiggle room to move the tandems, but not enough. Best I could get it was 900 lbs over on the tandems. Not once did they try and ply me to take the load regardless. From where I was at to where it goes it was pretty doubtful I'd have to deal with a weight station. But, I wasn't comfortable taking a load I know wasn't legal and also don't want to start a precedence that I'll break rules if need be. So, I walked from that load. Nothing but understanding and acceptance from the terminal manager and other folks involved. No one even implied about me taking the load. So, jumped back onto the other load I was originally supposed to do.
    I've got lots of similar examples when I was given authority to do what I thought was best without any coercion to do otherwise. Always get acceptance and support.
    As for the chaotic nature of loads themselves, not knowing from one load to the next where I'm going or what I'll be hauling, I prefer that to routine. Understand why others prefer something more predictable, but I prefer the spontaneity myself.
    IDK, it just seems so weird to me to hear how so many seem to have such a bad time with megas and Swift specifically when my experience hasn't had any of the yucky stuff they complain about.
    I guess it's just an example of YMMV. Mine sure has compared to so many that seem to have had a bad experience driving for a mega.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  5. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    I've run into the same problem before, once with Knight and once with Schneider. The first one with Knight was at their West Valley City, Utah yard T-called by another driver of course. I knew it was trouble after I backed under it and walked back to the trailer tandems. This load was going to CA and the tandems were slid back to over 40 feet, maybe 3 holes past. I looked for a scale ticket with the paperwork and there was none, which is a definite no-no when t-calling with Schneider. I called up my DM reported it all and then said I'd weigh it at the T/A in Tooele, UT. Of course, it was not CA legal and couldn't be made CA legal without a rework. So I told them that and they didn't really like hearing it, but I said I'm taking it back to the yard, find someone else who is willing to eat the fine. It seems as though there are always certain drivers who get to T-call and keep moving, but someone else has to clean up their mess. I never got paid for couple of hours I wasted with that fiasco, another drawback for the mega OTR companies. Do they think a driver doesn't know they are being used for cheap labor? The office staff of DM's, most of which have never driven a truck, have no idea of what goes on with their drivers. How could they if they haven't done the job and are just out of college?

The one with Schneider was overweight, but a sneaky overweight. The previous driver didn't leave a scale ticket and the tandems were at 40 feet. Running with Schneider, out of PHX, I was yelled at for not weighing a light load once! I should have been fined, but somehow I got it from Southern CA to Oregon without being pulled in for a weight violation. I was in horror when I saw the tandem weight read over 36K pounds as I drove over an Oregon scale, they didn't red light me, so I keep rolling out of the weigh station. Maybe no one was actually looking when I rolled through. Lots of times there is only one person working and they get tied up with something else and they have a line of trucks coming in because they didn't turn on the "SCALE CLOSED" sign.

So another negative about the megas is that you will pick up T-calls, that have issues, and you'll have to waste your time, for free, getting them addressed.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  6. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    My example meant to show an example of my company not trying to coerce me into running illegal or in violation of my HOS. I personally wasn't worried if I got paid or not. And, I got a message today that I'll be getting $50 for my efforts with the overweight load yesterday. I don't keep track closely if I get paid for everything I do, so unsure if I always get paid for every little thing, but they seem to always take good care of me. In example, I had an overweight in Oregon. I was 1600 over on my tandems. I loaded in LA, where it's quite a cluster of mess. Load was given as 33,000 lbs. And, place was right by I-5. So, when I got out of there, I hopped on it and figured I'd scale up the road. At 33,000, I wasn't too worried. I got pulled into a weight station as I started heading North out of the area. Rolled right through. Then, got pulled into another scale in California and also rolled right through. When I got to the Oregon POE, pulled in and was 1600 over on tandems. Load actual weight was around 45,000. Overweight ticket was $150. It was my fault and never attempted to put blame anywhere else. Regardless, on my next load, they threw me an extra $150 as a 'planner special'. There was nothing special about the load. So, seems they took pity on my plight.
    Anyway, I could give several other examples of similar behavior. And, my original point is, for whatever reason, I seem to be treated well at my mega, Swift, and seems others describe getting treated poorly at a mega. IDK, not about to question their assertions, I wasn't there. But, I've been treated well as far as I'm concerned.

Moosetek13 Thanks this.
  7. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Easier !!!!!!
    Better !!!!!!
    Nicer people nicer everything. I see drivers in Swift , Knight , Werner , Hunt and I just feel sorry for them. It’s not even the better money it’s the whole entire operational efficiencies. Everything is just nicer and smoother.

Patriot_Bearing_Supply Thanks this.
  8. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    I'd add that the CEO and Board's decisions are heavily influenced by Insurance Companies and Lawyers. Safety has become a meaningless catchphrase used by people who don't understand drivers or handling real world risk to implement policies that almost universally make things less safe in practice.

That's been the laser like focus of the American Trucking Association for decades. It lobbies for federal rules and regulations that favor larger operators over the smaller companies and owner ops they compete with for drivers.

TokyoJoe and Gearjammin' Penguin Thank this.
  9. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Word of advice,,
    Companies that heavily advertise for drivers are doing it for a reason.
    And most of the time they are not expanding operations.

10. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    If they have there own driving school that means they can not attract enough professional drivers so they have to try to attract unprofessional drivers , - i e they have lousy business plans.

11. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    New drivers have to start somewhere, don't you agree?
    I doubt you would consider any driver that is fresh out of any CDL school as a professional, because they have zero actual experience in the real world.

There are only a few companies willing to take in those new drivers, and many of them operate their own CDL schools as well.
    It is not about trying to attract only 'professional drivers', it is about starting people out to become professional drivers.

This industry could not survive without companies like Swift.

I didn't get my CDL through Swift, but Swift was the first company I worked for.
    As it turns out they are the only company I have driven for, for good reason.
    They have always treated me fairly and honestly, for the most part. And as Six9GS has pointed out, they often bend over backwards to be fair to the drivers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.