Driving and covid-19

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WesternPlains, Mar 26, 2020.

1. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The article doesn't get into the context of that statement. Literally took it out of context. Then went on to write an article around it. More fake news.
    I assume he was talking about how contagious it is.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Muskie

Muskie Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Lets do some Math then. We know that the death rate for seasonal flu runs around a .1% (1/10 of a percent) rate, that's not disputable.
    US currently has 1590 deaths with 102,702 cases reported. Lets just take it for face value at the moment.
    That gives us a 1.55% death rate, as reported live or 15 times the amount of flu. Now we know that the amount of cases is underreported maybe as much as 10 times, which means we could be over a million cases nation wide. But also we know that the amount of deaths have a 20 to 30 day lag. Amount of time when symptoms occur, tested and hospitalized, then death. So this final number will be adjusted and I've heard due to our lack of preparation, thus overrunning of medical facilities that the death rate may even be much higher than 10 times the normal seasonal flu. I'm thinking Dr Fauci's numbers are conservative at 10 times or 1%.

Midnightrider909 Thanks this.
  4. Muskie

Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    At this point, I am so dang disgusted at how limited the information is as well as how so-called medical experts are all over the place I have stopped debating this in these forums. People are free to believe what they will. It's a dang shame that you can't place 100% trust in any medical expert today because they are all over the place, and I don't! Right now I am in isolation and in a wait and see who's right attitude.

6. timidlady

timidlady Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Disinfectant wipes and cleaners are hard to come by right now. There’s a lot of dish soap though which is antibacterial enough for a virus and you need friction for viruses anyways. Be sure to grab dish soap for your cleaning needs and scrub stuff. Don’t wipe it. You need friction. Wash your hands a lot and make sure you protect your skin with lotion. It doesn’t do you any good to wash hands with cracks or open sores. Your skin is your #1 defense. Don’t listen to goons who don’t shower. You can use dawn to wash your body too if need be in your truck but take care of your skin. If you don’t shower you can get eczema. Open skin is a big deal. It can also cause things like intertrigo and other groin issues. Shower or wash and do basic body care. Get rest. Stay calm. Good luck to you!

7. Muskie

Feb 27, 2019
    The main point is that equating this virus to the flu is just irresponsible. Anyone who tries to tell others that this is nothing but the flu is being irresponsible. The fact is, and you can see it, live, is that this virus is not anything like the flu. We need folks to take this serious, otherwise we are going to be in for even a bigger disaster both medically and economically. We need to get this medical crisis under control sooner, not latter.

Truckermania Thanks this.
  8. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I’m driving all over the country trying to stockpile money to pay for my near sure hospitalization. Better make the money now if you can. Freight volume is going to drop off a cliff very soon.

Linte_Loco Thanks this.
  9. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Your opinion is noted!

Muskie Thanks this.
  10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    My VA primary care provider has called me 2 times this past week. Yesterday she really grilled me on how was I breathing. She offered to get me oxygen if I felt the need, in fact, I think she placed the order yesterday afternoon. Just waiting right now. I'm trying my best to limit my contact with most anybody. I am on the VA schedule for Surgery on my right shoulder in June, last time I heard it was still on.

Muskie Thanks this.
  11. Muskie

Feb 27, 2019
    Smart, on getting more oxygen now. My father goes to the VA for his cancer. He's even putting off any further treatments, with this virus on the rise. I can almost guarantee that any elective surgeries will be put off for awhile, your not going to want to risk getting Covid-19 in those hospitals, they will be overwhelmed. Your doing the right thing isolating, just as my folks are. If you need supplies, order for pick up online.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.