Driving fast and cutting corners won't make me more money

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Diantane, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Diantane

Diantane Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    Like most truckers, I deliver loads by appointment. I get the correct amount of time to make the trip, plus a couple extra hours for breaks, fueling, etc. If I drive faster and get there sooner I risk getting a speeding ticket.. I still can't deliver the load until the appointment time. So what do you gain from speeding?

On I-40 in Tennessee in certain counties, the speed limit for trucks is 55. Yet 99% of trucks drive at their top governed speed regardless of the law. Why risk getting a hefty fine and points for "getting there faster?" So you take take a longer break?

"Hurry up and wait"

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I believe you are talking about circumstances some have no control over,,,it's called, "the hurrier you go, the behinder you get" syndrome.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you get to your appt early legally, then you are there. You are finished except the unloading, getting ready to plan the next load, fueling, money etc.

Ive had the attitude in my later years that the company is more than welcome to drive the truck if they think they can see the load there faster. It will get there when it gets there and not a minute before.

It has to be a ungoverned truck. The companies across the industry created a problem by herding 61 mph trucks on 70, 75 and 85 mph interstates. No wonder the drivers feel that they must keep rolling regardless of the limit and tickets be ###### at 61 piddling mph. I know I wont.

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    You have no way of knowing what the 99% of speeding trucks are doing. Just because you have appointments doesn’t mean that some of them are trying to get to FCFS customers. Or if they had problems and are behind and are trying to make an existing appointment.

And I’m not excusing bad behavior. I’ve always found it easier to just drive my truck instead of driving everyone else’s. I don’t care if someone drives 10 hours a day instead of 8. I don’t care if someone works 7 days a week and his wife left him. I just stay in my own lane.

stwik, brysol01, PoleCrusher and 8 others Thank this.
  6. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    you assuming everyone is hurrying just to get there just to sit and wait.

Woodys Thanks this.
  7. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    these days its not as much hurry up and wait as much as hurry up and beat the clock lol

Woodys and CorsairFanboy Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Sure you do .... they are speeding.

Blackshack46 and stillwurkin Thank this.
  9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And yet we've had HOS for over 80 years...

10. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Stress levels are higher when speeding not to mention detremental financially.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Correct. I should’ve said he doesn’t know why they’re choosing to drive like dummies.

12. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I am all for cops pulling idiot truckers over and giving them HUGE fines. I was driving home this morning and had a CFI driver doing 85 in the left lane of a four lane trying to get somewhere fast. This is the third driver in the past two weeks who passed me at that speed. The cops caught the last one, he took his time stopping too, so there were two cop cars sitting with him when I went back that way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.