Driving in big cities, is it mandatory?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Zonno, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Those Rush Hour Vegans are the worst!

NorthEastTrucker and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    so if you run them over, they are not road pizza, but rather a vegemite sammich?

D.Tibbitt, Wasted Thyme and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Mods. Sensitivity classes for this entire thread.

D.Tibbitt and Rugerfan Thank this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Not today. :cool:

6. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    :biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559:

D.Tibbitt, Dave_in_AZ and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  7. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    :biggrin_25522::biggrin_25522::biggrin_25522::biggrin_25522::biggrin_25522:

D.Tibbitt, Dave_in_AZ and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  8. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    I told your dispatcher that we are at 2951 Peachtree N. E. Gate will be open and go up the curved drive that goes to the right. Want the big rock to the right of the BBQ unit and the the smaller two below the smaller pool. If you use that loader on the back of your trailer, be careful of the new sod
    put in yesterday.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. iceman32

iceman32 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2014
    You guys know a lot of small businesses have closed this year due to a lot of things like the covid shutdown. Commercial real estate has been sold and bought. This means you will have new shippers and new receivers that have bought a warehouse in the middle of a neighborhood or in the middle of a city. Some of these lots are in the middle of nowhere like Indiana, but the warehouse is made for straight trucks.

We shame drivers for going the lease purchase route. We need to start shaming new business men for purchasing a warehouse that is not built for 53 ft trailers.

Where I live, someone bought the old post office warehouse and is making it to a small distribution center. You have to be kidding me, a warehouse that those small fedex pup trailers go to and they expect otr drivers with a 53 to go there. I don’t know if it’s PFG or Us foods but those docks better have 20 feet space in between ;D

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    When I was OTR for 2 years I could count the number of times I was in the heart of a major city on one hand. There was a few places in Louisville and the Anheisuer Busch plant in St. Louis, and that one isnt too bad. The ones in Indianapolis were easy and Lexington KY, too.

Small towns can be way worse. Anyone who has delievered to Yo Farms in Connecticut can attest to what I am saying.

Most of the time when they say you are going to a major city, in my experience, it is on the outskirts of town. I was always told Chicago, but ended up in Bolingbrook in an industrial park built for trucks or Joliet, etc. It can be nerve wracking, but if you take your time and follow your training you will be okay.

BeHereNow97 and Just passing by Thank this.
  11. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    So basically business as usual. I've picked up at quite a few places in Indiana. The Americolds are what they are. The chicken farms do their thing. None of them are really perfect.

The last chicken farm I went to I drove through a disinfectant shield thing. Then I drove through a bunch of mud, went the wrong way and got blocked by a bunch of construction equipment. Had to back out. When I finally fixed myself the dock kid came out and said, "are you the rookie?"

I said, "Im afraid so." lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.