Driving opportunities in oilfield

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by will083031, May 4, 2022.

1. will083031

will083031 Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Hi I put in several applications in different sectors of the oilfield, sand, water, and crude. Out of these which one makes the most money and more consistent? I talked to a driver that hauls sand for Resource Transport and he’s telling me that he does 18-20 loads a week doing hopper bottom. Is that average for sand? I’m kind of skeptical cause he’s also recruiting and trying to get that referral bonus.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. idriveaholden

idriveaholden Super Heavy Hauler

Mar 14, 2018
    Why do these post keep comming up, does nobody have a sense of the economy and politics.
    The oilfield spurs up for a couple months and everyone is seeing dollar signs...
    just forget that they had the lowest demand,oil prices, and production a year and a half ago and the 2030/2040 agenda for carbon zero. There’s a long list of more but go ahead move to midland

4. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Crude is the most consistent, sand is the least.

77fib77 and cuzzin it Thank this.
  5. CamryXSE

CamryXSE Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2020
    Not one thing wrong with this post. The oilfield is cyclical and if you want to make some money on the uptick, that is fine. That's what I did.

Crude is probably the best paying (mind you, I left in 2014). I couldn't do it because I couldn't stand/didn't want to ingest the fumes pouring out when you're taking samples from the tank.

Sand loads vary in length and the loads you're describing would have to be very short. Only thing with sand, you use a mask to avoid serious damage to your respiratory system. Otherwise it's pretty good.

I never did water. If I go back it will be to haul diesel to the frac sites.

Bunch of other stuff too, specialty stuff, wireline, I can't remember all what else.

6. will083031

will083031 Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Ok thanks I got 3 job offers, hauling chemicals, fuel, or crude. I will have to make decision soon what offer to take

7. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    The 2030/2040 agenda is not gonna happen, at least not in the that time frame.

RefMata and AModelCat Thank this.
  8. elegantseacow

elegantseacow Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2021
    I think in the long run, it’s a flip of the coin. Granted, I’m new to the oil field (5 months in) and I haul production water. Some days, I’ve made $250.. others I’ve made $900.

So far this year, I’ve worked 3 1/2 months and have grossed $35K. This week, 6 days in, I’ve grossed over $3.5k but I’ve run some crazy hours because we’re short on people.

Good luck.

kee1227, a.paul, snowman1980 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    I am guessing that 900 dollar day was 18 hrs or more?
    How many hours are you putting in for a 3500 dollar week?
    Are you in the permian ?
    Glad you are making good money!

10. elegantseacow

elegantseacow Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2021
    Technically, I think it was 20 hours. Starting my 7th day today in a row and I think I’m around 95 hours on the week.

Normally, I work 4 days on, 2 days off, 12-14 hour days. This is an abnormal week and I tried to capitalize.

No sir. I’m in the Bakken.

11. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    The wind sock is your friend. See/feel the wind, stand to the side it is not going to blow fumes, then hold breath, close eyes, and pop the hatch open. Step further upwind for a few seconds to let the heaviest concentration of fumes escape, then drop the thief down the hatch.

I never inhaled/ingested any fumes by following this method.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.