Driving OTR with US Xpress

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by Wedge, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Wedge

Wedge Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Griffin, Georgia
    Hello There. :biggrin_25511:

I'm going to investigate installing a pair of external speakers for my CB so I can converse with the 4 wheeler population. This way when I've been signaling for 6 months to move over a lane and they refuse I can ask them:

"Pardon me, but would you be so kind as to allow me to move right one lane so that I won't miss my exit?"

"Thanks so much. I really appreciate it. Have a nice day." :biggrin_25525:

And if that doesn't work:

"Hey! get the @!#$ outta my way." :biggrin_25516:

I'm better now. :biggrin_255:

Just after I logged off on Saturday, USX came thru with a run from Edwardsville, IL to Midway, GA. 265 mile dead head and 811 loaded miles. I had to leave as soon as I received the dispatch because the pick up appointment was at 0900 and I was still in Hammond Indiana. I had time left for the day, anyway, so I moved closer which left me just a short hop on Sunday morning.

I just dropped here in Midway a short time ago, and headed north to the Love's TS about 15 minutes away.

I only have 2 hours left on my 70 but I will get back 7 tonight at midnight. Staying put would be the best so that I would have more hours to work with tomorrow.

Oh, those 4 wheelers............they got on the interstate and stayed in the speed up lane because it also was an up coming exit lane. We've all seen those, right?

Well in this case, the speed up/exit lane expanded to their right, so that the upcoming exit would be 2 lanes, follow?

So once you reach the exit, you can choose between the left or right exit, still following?

They kept me on the highway and wouldn't move right, so I figured they're all going to take the left side of the exit lane, still with me?

I need the left of exit, I'm now down to 35 mph on an interstate. and just as it looked as if I would be rubble stripping my way off the highway, they all move to the right side exit lane......simultaneously....all 6 of them....like they were rehearsing a move for the "Thunderbirds" or something.

But, like I said, I'm better now. :biggrin_255:

Thanks for reading.
    -Wedge

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Wedge
    That is why I don't drive a big truck..............I would have to run all them 4 wheelers over!!!:biggrin_25522: You really do have to have a good sense of humor or a low burn level!!!!

Wedge Thanks this.
  4. Wedge

Wedge Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Griffin, Georgia
    Hello Everyone. :biggrin_25511:

I'm on hometime right now. Got here a couple of days late but I'll just adjust my PTA to compensate.

Quick update:

Friday's settlement sheet: 3,368 miles. :biggrin_255:

I certainly prefer that over the "3 state two step" I was doing the week before. I guess mentioning my concern to dispatch had it's rewards.

And, for next week, I've got 1,034 in the bank already. :biggrin_25525:

This week's miles may be low because my truck is in for a DOT/ B-PM, and I recently have been experiencing oil usage of about 1/2-3/4 of a gallon per week, and it's not dripping on the ground when parked. I do see oil seepage on the L/S of the engine, but it's not making it to the ground.

I may have to extend the hometime to ensure it's repaired. I'll keep you posted. I'm stopping in at the terminal tomorrow to get a status report.

Time to go shopping.

Thanks for reading.
    -Wedge

sammycat and alex94 Thank this.
  5. Diesel Outlaw

Diesel Outlaw Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Florida
    Does U.S. Xpress go into Canada?

Wedge Thanks this.
  6. sammycat

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY

Enjoy your hometime Wedge and wow you are getting some nice miles! Good for you! I see alot of USX trucks around here. As a matter of fact there is a local driver that parks his truck on the weekends about 2 blocks from my house at a local elementary school. Sometimes he drops the trailer and takes the tractor to his house ( parks on the road???) which I don't quite understand as there is ( well was that I knew of when the ex was there) a secure lot for USX here. I am thinking he must be on a dedicated run as he is home every weekend.

Keep safe my friend and have fun shopping! and at home!!!:biggrin_25514:

Wedge Thanks this.
  7. Wedge

Wedge Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Griffin, Georgia
    My understanding is they do but it's not forced dispatch. I have never gone into Canada.

I've only been with USX for a year. Maybe a driver with more time at USX will chime in with the specifics on Canada dispatch.

8. Wedge

Wedge Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Griffin, Georgia
    Hello everybody. :biggrin_25511:

Only thing worse than being sick at home is being sick on the road.:biggrin_2552: A fringe benefit of my hometime. Felt this cold coming on when I was headed up to the terminal on Tuesday morning. Already went through an entire box of tissues.

I don't feel bad today, just can't taste anything.

I added a microwave oven to my truck so I can get away from the cold food. I was able to purchase a wide variety of microwave meals that don't need refrigeration, such as beef stew, pasta with meet sauce, chicken noodle soup (which is getting wiped out pretty fast with this cold of mine) and a host of others. All of these meals cost under $2 and for the most part are 1 serving. I still have cold cuts in my fridge and save the hot meals for the end of the day.

Dispatch wise, I left Ellenwood terminal and headed up to Rome, GA with a run of aluminum cans to a DC in Columbus OH, 495 miles. Right now I'm on a 3 stop Petsmart run into NJ which has it's first delivery appointment at 0300 tomorrow in Bridgewater, NJ, followed by the 2nd delivery at 0500 in Holmdel, NJ, and the final in Levittown, PA at 0730. I'm about 25 miles from the first stop. This run picked up Groveport, OH at 0300 this morning. Total miles on this dispatch, 601.

I don't deliver to retail that often. The delivery appointments are etched in stone so getting there early is of no real benefit. But if you are going to be late, everyone needs to know as soon as possible.

I prefer early myself. :biggrin_25525:

I'll let you know how it went tomorrow.

Gotta go buy more tissues.

Thanks for reading.

-Wedge

9. sammycat

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Hope you are feeling better Wedge!

Plenty of fluids and I would tell you rest...but I know where that would go!

Have you thought about a crock pot? I understand that it's easy to throw the food in there in the AM and let slow cook all day and you have a nice hot meal at the end of the day?
    I used to make a few meals for the ex and put them in the tins the size of and for the lunch box heater (got them at the dollar tree store) and he would have a few hot meals until they all defrosted. Just some ideas so that you can try to eat healthy and good while you are OTR

alex94 and Wedge Thank this.
  10. Wedge

Wedge Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Griffin, Georgia
    I thought very seriously about a crock pot. My problem is I have to be to be sure the meals I make are 1 serving. Storing left-overs in my little fridge is night something I can do. That's where I keep the meats and cheese/ dairy items.

Maybe when I get a real fridge on board I'll pick one up.

I'm getting hungry just talking about a crock pot. :biggrin_2556:

11. Wedge

Wedge Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Griffin, Georgia
    Quick update:

This morning I made my 3 deliveries. All on time.

First one was at 0300 in Bridgewater, NJ. That one was pretty easy to find. The nicest thing about stores like Petsmart is they are almost always located in a strip mall.

The second one at 0500 was in Holmdel, NJ. I drove right past the sucker. It was in a strip mall, the center of a strip mall, which was entirely surrounded by trees, and behind another building. :biggrin_25510: Only way I would have seen that one is with x-ray vision. But as I was turning around in a Target parking lot, an employee of Target told me it was in the strip mall I just passed...............figures.

And finally, the last stop at 0730 in Levittown PA was easy to find because it was DAYLIGHT! :biggrin_25516:................sorry. The 0500 stop is still bugging me, because turning around in NJ can be precarious.

That's the update.

Gotta run because I think Perpetual is backing up next to me. I'll find out and report back.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.