Driving OTR with US Xpress

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by Wedge, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Wedge

Wedge Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Griffin, Georgia
    Hello There. :biggrin_25511:

Well, I can see this thread has been quiet in the last week, so I guess I'll bump it along.

I spent a total of 3 1/2 days in break down mode. The ECU was causing the DEF and check engine light to flash so it was replaced. Three break-down sessions in the last 6 weeks have taken a toll. I'm hoping that 3 times is a charm and maybe I can get back to doing what I do best........running hard. :yes2557:

The first run after I was back from breakdown, a tire load from Mt Vernon, IL to Laredo, TX. Paid miles: 1,259. Next run was an auto load going from Laredo to Smyrna, TN. Paid miles: 1,081. I finished off the week with a load from Burnside, KY to the Home Depot DC in Van Buren, OH. Paid miles: 503.

So for the week: 2,843. Plus, I was asked to re-power a driver who was in Kirksville, OH, so I'll get paid for a trailer move (his tractor was going to be towed, so I dropped my mty at Abbot in Columbus, OH) plus all the additional miles from Van Buren, to Kirksville tacked on to those 3 runs.

This re-powered load will be around 490 miles and will be a drop and hook, delivering to the Walmart DC in Smyrna, DE tomorrow afternoon.

I've been reading on some of the other USX threads about drivers having difficulties getting miles, no freight available, bad FMs, no empty trailers. I'm sure there are some complaints I've left out.

So I'm going to provide some helpful hints that may help some of you out.

Miles: If you want to keep moving and rack up the miles there is only one thing that's going to help you achieve that: Communications.

Now, by that I don't mean picking up the phone and calling your FM. That's the last thing you should be doing. Besides the Macros you send which alert them as to your progress on your trip, your FM needs to know when you'll be arriving at a receiver. The sooner you pass that info along, the sooner they can begin planning your next load.

If you say nothing, they won't know your status until you're empty. When you are empty, send in a Macro 29 and update your PTA.

I message in to my FM just before I depart for a receiver and give her my ETA. Also, it's a good idea to message in to dispatch giving them your shut-down location.

Freight: There's plenty of freight. Anybody telling you otherwise is full of it.

FMs: If your FM is not doing his or her job, do something about it. Don't just sit around complaining. USX doesn't want bad FMs anymore than you do. If the fleet owner won't do anything about putting you on a different board, go to the terminal manager or who ever is running that office. This is when it's OK to use the phone. :biggrin_25525:

Empty Trailers: Yes, not getting an empty can be very aggravating, but, it's not your job to find an mty. If no mty is available, alert your FM. They'll find one for you. If they don't they are not doing their job. You'll be paid the miles to pick up your mty so don't worry about that part.

Calling on the phone should be a last resort, used only if you have no choice. Calling your FM to ask when you're going to get your next load is what you don't want to do. They may not be your best buddy, but they've got a lot on their plate. You have to respect that. They monitor trucks in a continuous cycle. When they have to stop and talk to you on the phone, they delay communicating with all the trucks, so everything takes longer.

Delivering on-time is a must. No exceptions......well there are exceptions but under normal circumstances, delivering on-time must be part of your routine. When you demonstrate that you can do that without fail, you'll become one of the prime drivers that dispatch can depend on.

Get into your job. Work hard at it. Get organized. There's plenty of money to be made.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for reading
    -Wedge

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    thats one of my runs...... thief...THIEF
    all good points only thing i would add is i never call anyone on monday and the reason is most mondays the FM s are trying to clean up after the weekends, they know who needs loads and you calling 1st thing isn't going to get you one faster. if it can wait i'll call tuesday and i try to never call before 1000.......the reason is i give them time to get things going and have time for things to settle down..... it helps them and YOU......

Wedge Thanks this.
  4. Wedge

Wedge Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Griffin, Georgia

Sorry about that, Flood.

Want me to bring it back?

5. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    The only time I call my FM is when it's something too complicated to explain on the DT in ten words or less. That does not happen very often.

Wedge Thanks this.
  6. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    no thats ok we got 2-3 back to back 1.900 miles runs this week..... just doesn't pay as well as nissan...

Wedge Thanks this.
  7. SAMMY6969

SAMMY6969 Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Hv 9 hrs left on my 70...had a decent wk..2700 miles..waisted 15 hrs.on looking for mt trailers and sitting for mt trailer plan...sux..

8. NoCoCraig

NoCoCraig Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Why would you be on duty waiting for an empty plan?

vinsanity and Wedge Thank this.
  9. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Hopefully Wedge-three IS ALL and not a pattern!!

Keep turning those miles!!

Wedge Thanks this.
  10. Wedge

Wedge Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Griffin, Georgia
    Well, I spoke too soon.

Here I sit at a Loves TS in Sparta, KY, under load, my Dixie's busted..........again.

Check engine light is on, low level DEF light is flashing away like it's trying there's no tomorrow. It's the same problem that I had with the truck 12 days ago. I guess the ECU wasn't the problem.

This makes 4 breakdowns in 7 weeks.

My mood at this moment:

:blackknight:
    :thin:

Well, maybe not that bad.................Let's just say it's a train you don't want to ride. :biggrin_25512:

Anyway, I'm waiting on a re-power truck which should arrive around 1100. Where I'm headed after that is anyone's guess. Most likely another Freightliner dealer.

If they can't get this problem sorted out, I'll have them re-seat me.

I"ll keep you updated.

Thanks for reading.
    -Wedge

Bigdubber and sammycat Thank this.
  11. Bigdubber

Bigdubber Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Colchester, VT
    Wedge... you can't seem to shake that "monkey" (bad tractor syndrome)... I'll be praying for that rascal to take a hike!

I had/have US X on my "list" of possibilities for hire, but the recruiter told me to get at least six months CURRENT experience and reapply :hmph: (my 6 yrs of experience is 20 years ago).

Maybe I should call here back and ask if the fact that I am doing a "refresher course" would suffice? :scratch:

If ya don't mind my asking, (aside from the too frequent tractor issues) how are you liking your decision to go to for US X?

Thanks for your time, sharing and good luck!

God bless and be safe out there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.