driving over 14hr limit...elog

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by kloy, May 13, 2012.

1. notezbngrn71

notezbngrn71 Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Stevensville, MI
    I believe you can file an appeal on this issue to request the CSA points to be removed. There is a a clause in the regulations that allows "safe haven."

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    10% would be an hour added to 11 hours. Would love to see an auditor at Knight's reaction to that . Don't expect to get by with that at any scale for any reason except unexpected emergencies that allow you not to exceed your 14

4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Really? Can somebody provide a link to that clause ?

Botoler1984 and 123456 Thank this.
  5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    If you were logged Off Duty you should not have been cited . Driving On Duty you were in violation.
    We have Xata e-logs . When we bobtail we go
    Off Duty , then options , then Create A Remark . Personal Conveyance is at the top of the list . Drivers often bobtail over an hour. We have been told we can use PC with a clean tank after leaving a tank wash .

6. lonewolf262

lonewolf262 Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Atchafalaya Basin
    One of the biggest issues of having E-Log is being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not enough time, running over the 11/14/70. Obviously, the designers are not truckers. They, The DOT and The FMCSA warn drivers not to violate your HOS but that's not the the way it happens in the real world. Loads are more important than drivers HOS. And when the Driver runs out of time, parked in some black hole, some drivers are forced to bend time and space.

If you arrive on time and the shipper or receiver can not complete loading or unloading while on-duty. We are going to have to move when out of hours. I believe the Industry is adapting to the E-log, somewhat. Yes, note "move to save haven" when out of time, usually works. just as when using paper logs during a snow storm.

On the down side, these records are stored 6 months on mainframe data banks, then archived on mass storage for ? who knows. It's in the Cloud (RAIR)http://www.rair.com/ and not on a local MIS.

Drivers must manage HOS and recap, plan your work and work your plan. When drivers notice a situation arises, where working well past the 14 hour rule may occur...something is not Kosher...either you or your load planners are not planning correctly. If the shipper or receiver is taking too long and you run out of hours, What do you think they will say? NOPD! Not our problem dude.....

If you have been fortunate to have Android/PC with Goggle Maps/Satellite image of customer, finding parking is much easier. Usually, but not always, a Commercially Zoned street with less than 1-2 miles from the shipper/receiver available. Just zoom in and look for large empty roads with trucks near-by.

7. Scape07

Scape07 Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Texas
    This may be a dumb newbie question but why can't you log sleeper time while getting loaded or unloaded? You aren't really working. I have read through another thread on this same subject and I know it is a bit of a gray area but I would do this if possible.

8. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Because while getting loaded or unloaded you are usually required to be 'in readiness'

Even if you're logging sleeper it still doesn't stop the 14 hour clock.

9. Ex-Con-Trucker

Ex-Con-Trucker Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    That too... Or, as a Star Transportation driver explained, if he's off duty, and needs to take care of personal business, he goes to line 5. Line 5 helps combat the shippers and receivers that won't let us stay on their property once they finish holding us hostage.

Off-duty/driving can mean a bunch of different stuff. Would like to hear from someone that has it in their electronic logs.

10. Ex-Con-Trucker

Ex-Con-Trucker Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    When the truck moves, it automatically logs you on-duty driving. If you're parked, and haven't logged off, you'll be on-duty, not driving. In other words, if the truck moves, you're logged on duty whether you like it or not.

Sounds like your system is completely different.

11. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012

We have line 5 on our qualcomm. At least some of us do.

I use it rarely and then only to be able to get off a property and to a safe haven.

I have driven to an old truck stop of mine and pushed my 11 hour clock out only to find what USED to be a favorite truck stop is no longer in business. Old memories are only good for memories.

I have driven 30 miles to get to the next truckstop as a result.

I made a notation of the situation of it and nothing came of it.

Left a malwart DC and had to drive an hour to find a place to park after my 14 hour clock was up. I went the direction I need to go to find a place and kept running into "no truck parking" signs. Guess there were too many before me that ruined a good thing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.