Driving to safe haven while out of 14 HOS

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Trucker PV, Jul 28, 2014.

1. turnanburn

turnanburn Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2011
    central Vermont

Allow waiting time to not be part of the 14. Don't presume to know when A driver is tired. Do away with the 2 1-5s so drivers can leave early. Make an actual provision for moving an unladen CMV to a legal parking space. Make it illegal to make a truck move when it can't be operated by the driver legally, and through no fault of his own.

cowboy_tech and Maineman Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

When I got my truck, the QC wouldn't automatically switch between duty modes. Turns out the fuse to the QC's ignition sense line was blown. QC wouldn't "wake up" when I started the engine, either.

Just sayin'...

4. Oldman49

Oldman49 Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Hi semi ! SuperValu is right up there with IGA,,,yea,,I have been laughed at before,,,but if you ain't tryin,,,you are dyin.....
    3 reasons to not pull refers
    1 grocery warehouse
    2 east coast
    3 lumbers.

thanks for the response,,,never knew if anyone reads this stuff,,lol

"semi" retired Thanks this.
  5. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    To fix it, not my idea, someone else in here had it but can't remember who, but I like it...allow us to drive any 12 hours in a given 24 hour period

6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    More and more companies are hurting for drivers mainly because of all the laws.Their insurance companies are not taking alot of drivers these days.Companies should bend the rules abit concerning the hos.This driver was only 6 minutes past his 14.Had this driver said he cant deliver this load because I wont have the hours to find a safehaven once im unloaded,you can bet he would have received a late load or service failure.Its a no win situation.One day companies will bend the rules when they see all the available trks sitting at the terminal.My new boss said today drivers are a hot commodity right now and insurance companies are turning away more drivers therefore companies can't hire the drivers they need.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK got that, great that you had that much time left on the 14 but what about the 11 drive time?

At 1 1/2 hours in, I would have called my dispatcher and told them what's going on. At 2 hours in, I would have called the consignee and asked them how long will it be, then call dispatch and told them (not asked) that I will be out of here and they can arrange another appointment then I would have gone to the Consignee and told them "see you tomorrow". Leaving them for my 10 hour reset.

OK I have even asked the company I worked for if I could stay on their property to wait for a cross dock and been told no. So I expect a delivery to say no too.

8. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Signing a piece of paper your company gives you is no big deal. I used to get more of them to sign when we were still on paper than I do on E logs. They used to scan the logs into a system that generated the report. It networked with the fuel card and had to match fuel stops. Make a 15 minute mistake on a break and you get about 5 violations. I wouldn't think twice about that one. Just don't do it constantly

9. ezover

ezover Light Load Member

Mar 3, 2011
    swartz creek michigan
    i think it's great. i wish they would make it a 12 hour day max. it's stupid that drivers are excepted to work 14 hour days to make a living.

already gone Thanks this.
  10. already gone

already gone Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Western New York
    i hear ya, id be fine with 12 hours, driving or not. no extensions, no special circumstances.

11. davenjeip

davenjeip Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Port Charlotte, Fl
    A provision for being able to get to safe parking might be the best idea I've heard about what needs to be done to our HOS. Saying that we can go over our 14 or 11 ONLY to get to the closest safe parking would solve so many problems. No more worrying about the no win situation of late unloading or being stuck in traffic. Too bad the government will never understand it, so it will never happen.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.