Driving with the Conestoga OPENED UP!

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Kenworth6969, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    When I pulled a hard top curtain van we’d tie the sides up against the front when we were empty in high winds. Looks like this guy could’ve done a better job strapping around the front to hold the folds in. Other than the width there’s nothing illegal about having the sides opened. But this does a good job showing why there are places that won’t load conestogas.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Well what about that width?

4. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Read his reply again.

5. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Well, as I said, he should have done a better job wrapping ratchet straps around the front to hold everything tight. You asked if it’s legal, and when done properly it is legal. Running empty from Great Falls or Helena back to Missoula with an empty parachute that is 14ft tall doesn’t leave you many options other than opening the sides and rolling. With a hard top it’s easier because you can hook buckles together and keep everything pulled to the center. Toss some straps over the roof and take off.

When a conestoga is closed up tight you still wouldn’t be able to see the person’s mirrors from behind because they’re about 108” wide if mounted on a 102” flatbed.

6. Kenworth6969

Jul 3, 2020
    That guy had folds of the system that looked like in picture of poking out when it would make more sense for it to all be pushed inward inside the trailer.

7. Kenworth6969

Jul 3, 2020
    If it's all okay and legal I wonder why I never see this going down the road.

I'm sure there many times brokers say no conestoga but driver could say okay no problem I could make it a flatbed o_O

8. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Because people who actually care about their equipment working properly wouldn't do this.

Like was said earlier. You can do it and make it narrow enough to be legal. The chances of bending something are super high though.

If you leave the straps too lose it will lock around and flap in the wind. Could damage the tarp if it's flapping against something or bend a support bar on the frame.

Straps too tight will almost certainly bend the frame.

Once it's bent it is a bear to get it to open and close properly.

9. 2CAN

2CAN Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2010
    I'd bet that load doesn't pay enough to fix the damage that's being done

Can't just throw anything in these

10. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    The places that won’t load conestogas don’t refuse them because of the top, they refuse them because of the tracks along the rail. They don’t want to be responsible for damaging the track or the driver trying to blame them for previous damage.

The reason you don’t see it often is because what are that chances that you personally will be in the same place at the same time as an empty conestoga or curtain in high wind? If it’s that important for you to see something with your own eyes in order to believe that it is done than I suggest looking up Rolling Hills out of Worland WY and going to spend some time there. They do it a lot retiring back to Lovell and Cody for Sheetrock. But they pull hard top curtains so I suppose that won’t fit your criteria of a conestoga doing it.

11. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Any conestoga I’ve ever been around you could load 8’ 6” wide on it, so if that curtain wouldn’t close he’s illegal width on the load.
    Conestogas are allowed a couple extra inches width for the curtain system.

cke and beastr123 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.