Drop Trailers both ends multiple cities

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Midwest Trucker, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I don’t think you are understanding what I’m talking about.

I’ve been trucking for 11 yrs and have 9 trucks and 13 trailers. But no I have never worked for another company except my own. I understand how drop trailers work, what I wasn’t understanding is how it’s cost affective to put them all into place when you start a new relationship.

I appreciate you trying to help though, I really do.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    Thanks, so maybe due to the massive volume, and good rates, combined with having trucks and trailers all over the country anyway, tha it’s cost affective to just get it done.

I figured these types of runs are very competitive but maybe not since it requires such huge resources.

ZVar Thanks this.
  4. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Ok, now that you explained that a little, I understand what you're asking. Lol. Should have led with that. Lol

But, yes... megas get paid big dollars to tie up their trailers at costumers, so they're not hurting.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Those accounts are very competitive. It's just not in the smaller carrier market.
    For example Swift competes with Schneider or CR England. Any run they do that a smaller company does is more an afterthought than any real focus on gaining those runs. Their bread and butter is national accounts that have huge shipping needs like Proctor and Gamble or Miller or the like.

6. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Many times these are lease trlrs from a nearby company/pool.
    They have their local drivers drop at a customer w/o tying up a otr driver w shuttle work

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    For a big company, putting x many trailers in place at a customers is just a cost of doing business. They don't do this on and hope and a prayer. They will have a contract for a certain number of loads, enough to justify the cost of placing the trailers and even removing them at the end of the contract if it not renewed.
    And they have probably will control 3 trailers for every truck they run. Schneider, for example has around 10,000 company trucks but has 34,000 trailers. Other big companies have similar ratios.

magoo68, Ruthless, SoDel and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    The average mega carrier, and even not so mega carrier has an average of 3-4 trailers in the fleet per power unit. So Schneider as an example has 20,000 power units but 80,000 trailers. Some inbound or outbound customers get 1 or 2 trailers, some of them might get dozens depending on their volume.
    And with the advent of fully imlplemented ELD's the ratio is increasing to even higher numbers to allow for the flexibility.

9. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    Kind of got me thinking... if a mega is losing an account and they have 30+ trailers places somewhere. I wonder if they call other companies near that location and try to undercut the other Meg’s this way they can just shuttle all the units over to the new location. Sort of like a race to the bottom happens on the spot market.

Man that’s wild on the truck to trailer ratio. I thought having maybe 20% more trailers was good but then I don’t hardly ever do drop trailers either. Can’t even fathom having 300% more. I’m surprised this potential customer sent over all of these lanes with drops on both ends if they are under contract. Maybe it’s to gauge the next go around in negotiations. I think I’ll only be quoting the live/live ones which is maybe 10% of what they sent over but probably aren’t locked into contracts.

Thanks.

10. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    I wonder what they do when there is a downturn of freight and all of a sudden they don’t need 20% of them? How in the heck could you find parking for say 5 or 10,000 trailers?

Maybe that’s another race to the bottom scenario where they undercut just to have them at customers vs finding parking?

Edit: Makes sense on the ELD and why trailer orders have been through the roof. Little guys plus megas buying.

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    What Swift did when I was there was to simply leave the trailers there untill needed. Say I delivered a load to a dc. Said dc is for whatever reason running out of empties. I leave bobtail and go to the the place that no longer has Swift pull their loads and hook to an empty there and remove it. After a surprisingly short amount of time the now ex customer has no Swift trailers.

Heck I one time pulled an empty for Naperville, Il down to somewhere south of Springfield, Il just so there was enough empties there. It's just weird doing that, but I guess if I had the closest empty it was the best option.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.