Drop Trailers both ends multiple cities

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Midwest Trucker, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I understand what you are asking but you are overthinking it.

With 11,000 trailers, they can plan on moving trailers to anticipate a customers needs.

A lot of these megas with regular or contractual customers are using data directly from customer as part of their supply chain, so most of the time they know where the trailers are at, they can easily have drivers with loads move them to a specific location, drop them and pick up empties. It is all a shell game for those in the company.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    And never pay the driver sitting on the trailer with the tractor waiting for dock AS storage.

If I am in one of those moods, I should never have become a driver who does not get paid anything like what the Motor Carrier gets paid for everything.

4. SoDel

SoDel Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Southern Delaware
    Bear with me here:
    If the megas run 3-4 trailers per power unit, can that ratio work for an independent given they have a contract or preferred lane that they consistently run? I believe I read that @PacManTrap owned 3 trailers that he set up his own drop and hook operation with as a solo OO on a contracted run.

The reason I ask, understanding the inherent cost of multiple trailers, is that with the time constraint of ELD's, is having the ability to drop and hook as an OO make you more competitive and / or profitable (once the initial trailer purchase is covered) and is the return on investment worth it when considering the "hourly rate" of the truck when sitting to get loaded

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    @Midwest Trucker
    ?
    Are these contracts 3 month deals? Yearly deals? Do you price in a weekly adjustment for fuel fluctuations?

I get some of these offers to bid but I don't even consider it.. What am I going to do with 1 truck and 1 trailer and already steady runs. Maybe once I get my yard and shop together...

6. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I’m not sure how long term it is yet. It is one of those situations where I’ve handed out cards in the past and finally got an email asking to quote truckload lanes.

They have an attached fuel surcharge sheet so you can quote as linehaul plus fsc or all in.

There are about 100 drop on both ends lanes with a combined several several thousand loads. Obviously I’ve determined that’s way over my head.

There are about 20 live on both ends lanes that I’m taking a look at though. No idea yet if those are on a bidding system that whoever is currently lowest gets the load or if they are in a certain length contract. I’ll orobably pick out 10 of the 20 that I’m most familiar with and quote them. 5 of those 10 my own trucks could consistently run and the other 5 we could broker. I like to make sure I don’t bite off more then can chew and look like fools. I’d rather walk before running with a new customer.

Ruthless and gokiddogo Thank this.
  7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    You operate just like me but on a bit bigger scale.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  8. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    That is why Xtra lease or TIP (Transport International Pool) exist. Each one has in the neighborhood of 50,000 trailers. We move them around for both companies, and the dozens of smaller leasing companies that do the same thing. Depending on the state of the economy, I have been to some of their yards that have a 500 trailer capacity( you can hook to any of the trailers in an orderly row) that ballooned to 1500 trailers in the same yard where they were parked 6" away from each other down the aisles preventing access to almost all of them. In mothballs so to speak.
    It is a very elastic business. If you have ever been on an airliner and looked out the window as you are on takeoff or final approach in a metropolitan area, take a look down at the number of semi trailers on the various properties. Or do some poking around on Google satellite and zoom in.
    Somehow, someone owns the trailers and manages to make money from the arrangement, or else it wouldn't happen.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.