Drove 2 days for interview only to be told the positions filled

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JSanborn103, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    the good about Schneider ,would be getting over the 1 yr experience hump and the terminal is right here in town. no worries on where to park rig on home time.

from what I hear they aren't that bad anymore.

my old company does alot of out and back. 1 night out. decent small terminal. treated me real good. stayed for 10 yrs! for me that's a freakin' record. may require 1 yr experience, though.
    dry van and dry bulk.

Total Distribution
    900 N Hoskins Rd
    Charlotte, NC 28216
    (704) 394-8171

a division of Peoples services out of Canton Ohio.

https://www.peoplesservices.com/north-carolina/

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    JSanborn103 and austinmike Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Road Train Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    J&R Schugel will hire you for their southeast regional, running North Carolina South Carolina Georgia, Florida, Alabama and occasionally Tenneesee, 2018 and newer trucks KW-T680 international LT, you will probably go with a trainer for a few weeks, then be on your own great company I have been with them 8 months now

Numb Thanks this.
  4. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Never say never. I got my first driving job by doing that, and I’d do it again if I had to. Both companies I interviewed with were not desperate enough to pay for a barely qualified driver to travel for the interview.

The mistake that @JSanborn103 made was packing up his life and driving across the country for an INTERVIEW. Don’t do that until after you actually have the job. Then if you get the job, tell them you need at least two weeks to give notice to your current employer. Or longer if they’re open to it.

okiedokie and ZVar Thank this.
  5. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    I drove 10-hrs, 600+ miles round-trip to interview for my first CDL job about 4 months ago. Drove the same drive the next weekend to land an apartment. Drove 300 miles and 5 hrs round-trip for the road test too. No regrets, even though the job blew and I already left it.

buddyd157 and jmz Thank this.
  6. cncking2000

cncking2000 Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2018
    Schneiders hiring process doesn’t take all that long. They start an orientation every Monday. It’s a tossup whether you go to Coraopolis, Pennsylvania or Houston, Texas for training. The regional position usually trains in Houston. I do regional out of the same area, and as far as a starter mega carrier is concerned I really don’t have much to complain about, but I also think that has something to do with the fact that I need very minimal if any hand holding. Much better than I hear about Western Express which is pretty much the only other company that would take me since I didn’t go to a CDL school to get my CDL.

JSanborn103 Thanks this.
  7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I get asked this question far more than I care to admit. In my first post, I mentioned airfare and hotels, AND they did not get hired. I would consider it a red flag on any Carrier to cheap enough to at least spring for the greydog! I have a history of generally supporting the carriers in these forums. I also know there are so dang many crooks in this business it's almost mind-numbing. Back when I was an active driver I had a carrier ask me to drive about 300 miles to go speak to a terminal manager. I was not promised a job but I drove anyway. I interviewed for the job and actually was offered a job, but declined to work for them. Just was going to be a PITA getting my tractor parked when on hometime and I did not want to commute that far. As I was leaving the guy that interviewed me asked me to give him an estimate on what my expenses were for that trip. Good carriers even these megas that treat drivers like a number will pay you to get there. I do agree with you in the OPs case. In general, though, going long distances like that for an interview with no job promised on your own dime is allowing carriers to use you!

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    first off, do you really want to depend on electronical communication devices to work 100% of the time?

ever hear of a "dropped signal"?

you too could have kept up with the texts/phone calls all the way down there. (you do not mention that you kept texting them on your trip's progress.

they could have tried to reach you, and in the course of doing so, things got muddled in the transmission of the signals.

then too, someone that happened to walk in, just got the job

it's tough, but you'll have to roll with it the best you can.

i wish you well, maybe you'll even get a higher paying job than that one?

9. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    Do you know anything about Schneider intermodal? Is that backing into docks or do they load you with a crane? It says 3 months experience required but I might ask them about the position anyway.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i know of someone who did that for Schneider, and he said it was mostly drop and hook. but he had to share the truck with another driver, and the other driver would not keep it clean and wrecked it. then he had a junk truck for a few weeks, until a replacement came into the terminal.

otherwise, he said it paid good, and he did not work very long hours. was home every night. (day cabs)

JSanborn103 Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @buddy157 knows more about that than I do.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.