Dry Van Hauler Thinking About Switching to Tanker

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Cobrawastaken, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    I am sure we'll cross paths sooner or later. I am the only Brazilian driver they have so you will know when you see me... Until then good luck and welcome aboard, driver!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cobrawastaken

Cobrawastaken Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    Checked in to the Holiday Inn Express in Vinita this evening and I'll be starting training at Elliott tomorrow. The training is 5 days (M-F) and I didn't think to ask about the exact hours, but when I talked to the trainer earlier he said he'll pick me up at 8am tomorrow. The recruiter had me start some online training before going to the in-person training and the online training has to be completed before the in-person training is complete, or I won't be able to head out with a truck.

I have a tanker endorsement, but I do not have hazmat. According to their website they haul activated carbon, flour, salt, sugar, wax, feed ingredients, fertilizers, hazardous waste, sand/proppants, acids, and plastic pellets. The recruiter didn't mention a lot of these, but it's a lot of stuff to list over the phone I guess. Maybe they don't haul some of that stuff anymore and the website wasn't updated. That being said, I will need a hazmat endorsement for some of these things and she said they will start the process of getting my hazmat as well as a TWIC card during training and they will also pay for both. This was convenient for me because I could leave my other company and get started at Elliott right away. The online training includes some hazmat training and I'm assuming there will be plenty of hazmat training in-person, but I've also been studying hazmat on my own just so I can be sure to pass the test when the time comes.

Once all the training is completed and I'm assigned a truck, they will send me directly home so I can load up everything I need into my truck. I didn't ask for this and I like that I didn't have to. I'll be OTR all 48 and I won't take much home time so I do plan to keep a lot of stuff with me in the truck.

650cat425 and Just passing by Thank this.
  4. Cobrawastaken

Cobrawastaken Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    I created a separate thread for my experience at Elliott Truck Line for those who are interested.
    Elliott Truck Line

RockinChair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.