Dry Van Hauler Thinking About Switching to Tanker

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Cobrawastaken, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    I hauled Crude Oil from 13-14', hauled gas for about 6 months in 17'. It's not a bad job as a company man, you'll always be grossed out but, the pay is decent. I would haul gas hands down because your always gonna be 100% no touch freight and usually there is no wait lines. You might be able to find a local gig too hauling gas if you get the right contacts.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I only do Hartley to the Denver area and back. There's some that do Hartley to Hutchinson and back. I usually only try to stay out 2-4 nights a week. I mean there's some of that "weeks out at a time/48 state stuff" if you want it too. But I ain't about that life.

4. Cobrawastaken

Cobrawastaken Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    Yes I forgot to mention I would like OTR. I also want a company that still runs manual trucks, preferably 13 speeds.

5. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Indian River is all automatic. Bynum truck I saw was a manual, but I doubt you are going to find any large fleets running anything more than a 10 speed manual.

6. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I stay out 4-5 weeks, don't mind going longer if the miles are flowing.

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  7. Cobrawastaken

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    Yeah I drive a 10 speed at my current company. A 13 speed might be a stretch but it doesn't hurt to look for them lol

8. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    With the gross weight of typical tankers and with modern high horsepower engines you just have no need for split gears so most companies don't bother with the extra expense /complexity of those transmissions.

I have a 10 speed Eaton autoshift and it is more than adequate for any mountain I have come across yet.

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, depends what kind of tanker. "Ka-boom" tanker jobs are usually local, and used to be the cream of the crop, but now, I don't think it pays any better than anything else. Milk, same thing, while not a "Ka-boom" tanker, milk is local, but doesn't pay much and they run you ragged. The big bucks, is chem haulers OTR. Lots of advantages, most is one way, so no backhauls, no warehouses, no pallets, and customers are generally waiting for your load, and they pull easier. Areas of concern are the actual transport ( like hauling beer in your van trailer) and loading and unloading can be pretty tense. Not for schmoes. You land a tanker job, I'd go for it. You can always pull a van again.

10. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Definitely miss my 10 speed manual daycab. These autos are hit and miss. There's cases where I've definitely been run ragged, especially when I was loading multiple barns per night. Now I just set my own pace and take what I could handle.

Cobrawastaken and Redtwin Thank this.
  11. Cobrawastaken

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    Thank you all for the valuable information. Do tanker companies pay detention after 2 hours or do they tend to pay for all your time? I found a company that states they pay you $0.51 per mile and also $22/hr. Obviously they're not paying you $22/hr while you're driving, but I would think they wouldn't pay that during loading/unloading until after 2 hours like dry van.

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.