Dry Van Hauler Thinking About Switching to Tanker

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Cobrawastaken, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    That last part is probably what I like least about tanker. Way too much time on the loads.

Cobrawastaken Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Depends on the company and shipper. The company I drove for always had a realistic drive time, it didn’t mean you had time to hang around the truckstop BSing. But, if I got into weather or traffic problems a phone call was all it took to change the delivery time.
    A lot cheaper to change a delivery time than to clean up a wreck.

Cobrawastaken and Redtwin Thank this.
  4. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Sure enough, got called back from them and it was one of those "super trucker", "weeks out at a time ordeals" with their chem tanker division. Only place nearby that had daycab fuel hauling available was Amarillo. But they were already fully staffed. The search continues.

Cobrawastaken Thanks this.
  5. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    20200413_095601.jpg Have you checked with Elliot Truck Line in Vinita, OK? Mostly Peterbilts, all manual from my own experience. There's liquid and dry bulk loads. So we all have a pump and a blower in our trucks.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  6. Cobrawastaken

Cobrawastaken Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    I'll definitely have to check them out. As long as they don't require tanker experience. I have none.

650cat425 Thanks this.
  7. Cobrawastaken

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    @Just passing by
    I checked out the website. All the truck pictures look like they have the short sleepers, like 70 inch or so. I almost never go home so I'd like a good amount of living space. Do you know if they have any of the 80 inchers?

8. Just passing by

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    There are a hand full of them. Not sure how many.

9. Cobrawastaken

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    So maybe I just need to ask nicely... :D Thanks for the quick reply. Do they have O/O? Are you one or are you a company driver? What's the pay like?

10. Just passing by

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    There are O/O and I believe they have a leasing option as well. Not very sure 'cause it's not something I am interested in so I never really asked. Elliot was bought over by Customs Commodities of Gilmer, TX a couple of years ago. Customs also bought over a couple of smaller trucking companies and now there are quite a few different trucks available for company drivers, like myself. Now that I think about it I was given a choice of an 18-speed with a larger sleeper but it had no blower for dry bulk loads so I passed on it.

11. Cobrawastaken

Apr 20, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    You prefer dry bulk? I did cement for a few months, can't say I'm a fan but I've never done liquids so I don't know if it's any better. Standing around for 30-60 minutes is boring lol

Just passing by Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.