Dry van vs flatbed for a fairly new driver?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jbrown87, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Jbrown87

Jbrown87 Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2023
    Hey everyone, I have been doing dryvan for about 4 months I’m thinking of switching to flatbed the pay is better an seems like they keep running. I may switch within my carrier in currently with (western express) or go to a different carrier paying more. What do you guys like? Anyone loving flatbed, I think I want to learn something different and get out of the truck more? Advice?

77fib77, Kyle G. and Numb Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    If you're thinking about exploring flatbed with Western, they will be glad to switch you with a quickness. They always have more of a demand for flatbed drivers. They will train you on how to secure pretty much anything. Then they run all 48 states. You'll get a good dose of cross country runs. There was a guy on here that's running for them and he got a load from Baltimore to Portland, OR, and I think to Colorado from Portland. I ran flatbed for them back in the day and it actually was a lot of fun. You'll probably have to go with a trainer for a bit to get practice with load securement, but I recommend it. I think flatbed is the better division if you drive for Western. Stay where you are and just go flatbed so you can get some more experience, and then when you get really comfortable, move on to greener pastures.

4. Jbrown87

Nov 7, 2023
    Oh ok I have another company offering way more money for just hauling steel, you think I should still stay to show consistency a pay my dues here ?

77fib77 and Numb Thank this.
  5. Jbrown87

Nov 7, 2023
    I
    just asked my dm about that

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  6. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Most steel mills suck. I finally gave up on em. Mostly lazy bass turds wasting my day. I'd look at something with more variety. Learn more, earn more

Jbrown87 Thanks this.
  7. Jbrown87

Nov 7, 2023
    Ok my carrier has more variety with flatbed I believe

8. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    If you switch over to WE flatbed, just understand before you do:
    • with flatbed -- you will work A LOT HARDER
    • most tarp pay is NOT what the tarp job is really worth
    • you will have to secure your load, then tarp it....& then usually drive for a long distance
    • you will have to stop every couple of hours or so, & (re)check your load securement -- tighten/adjust as req'd
    • you will tarp -- rain, or shine (or sleet, or snow)...&/or in windy conditions
    Doesn't all that sound like fun?!?....:confused: o_O

-- L

Numb, tscottme and Albertaflatbed Thank this.
  9. Albertaflatbed

Albertaflatbed Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2022
    Nisku, AB
    I'd say go to flatbed with the current company. This way you are still clocking time at the first company, and gett8ng the benefit of additional training and experience.

I love flatbed. I have hauled van/reefer/heater, flat deck, tilt deck, over dimensional, tanker, pneumatic and flatbed is one of my favorites.

I like the variety of the loads, I stop every few hours to do a load check which is a great excuse to stretch my legs and move around, even if it's only a 2 minute walk around the trailer.

I like that I am more active overall and there is more and better interaction with the yard crew at shippers and receivers. Now of course some are a holes like anywhere else but I don't care so much about that, as i don't have to work with the guy all day every day, probably won't see him again anytime soon lol.

Once you are comfortable with flatbed, for sure start looking around at other companies paying more. But for know do yourself a favor and stock with western but in the new division would be best long term I think.

bryan21384 and Jbrown87 Thank this.
  10. Jbrown87

Nov 7, 2023
    I think that would be ok honestly , I get fatigued doing dry van an we are no touch freight 100 percent an I like the pay increase. I have heard about that wind though lol

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.