DTB Radio in Carlisle, PA

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by BullDoggin, May 12, 2013.

1. bored silly

bored silly Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2016
    He's definitely mentally ILL No doubt.... I don't get that S--T NEVER WILL.LOOKING AT PICTURES OF NOT EVEN A FULLY DEVELOPED WOMAN.... #### I CAN'T FIND MY GUN

91B20H8 and mike5511 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    It looks like DeVry University forgot to teach their students the importance of keeping their RF test equipment calibrated.
    This radio was sent in by one of David Bupp customers.
    Definitely better work than most.

This is what it looks like when a radio sounds good but has a very short transmitting range.
    Screenshot_20171006-230009.png

Hopefully Dave sees this so he can make the necessary corrections to his bench to improve the consistency of his work.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  4. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Not the 1st i have been told about commin from DTB..

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  5. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Believe it or not that work is better than most of what's out there. That's a perfect example of a radio that sounds just fine but would disappear quickly out of my receiver within the first eight miles.

6. delta5

delta5 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Ohio
    Just curious, the service manual says the 98vhp should be set for 65 watts dk and the voltage regulators on the amp board set to 4.0 volts, since this radio uses the 520 mosfets. What I'm wondering is what should the driver and finals be set for? My new 959b had both the driver and final bias set for 4.20v right out of the box. If I set them to 3.5 and 3.75, I couldn't get dk over 3 watts. Set back to 4.20 on both I could turn it up to 10 watts. Looks to me like the 520 mosfets should be biased at 4.0 to 4.20.
    Comments?

7. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Each radio requires different bias voltages due to sloppy tolerances. Adjustment should be made to bring all the stages into linearity.
    Here we see three nonlinear stages.
    1507482956230.png

Sometimes it's necessary to replace all the finals to eliminate IMD as seen here with a problem mosfet which Dave seems to have overlooked. The service manual is completely useless for that particular radio and anyone who follows the service manual is going to have serious problems and blame the manufacturer for the dirty signal. It's critical to adjust bias voltage using a scope until you see the curve of the different stages superimposed on each other working in unison with zero IMD.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    mike5511 and delta5 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.