DTB Radio in Carlisle, PA

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by BullDoggin, May 12, 2013.

1. dtbradio

dtbradio Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2010

Not sure how I missed seeing this last time I visited the thread.

First, I would NEVER tell anyone they only get one question. If a customer comes in during a busy stretch (maybe I'm being phone called to death, or there are several customers waiting and everyone talking, or both), I will generally acknowledge them, get a rough idea of what they need (do they just need merchandise - in which case I will often go ahead and ring them up, or do they need service), and/or tell them I will be with them as soon as I can. Its possible that a customer might mistakenly interpret that as meaning "you only get one question". There are also occasions when a customer may ask a question, then ask what appears to be the same question in a different way. In those cases, I'll let the customer know that it sounds like the same question, and can they please clarify what they need if trying to ask a different question. I suppose some might mis-interpret that as me saying they only get one question. There are certainly other scenarios of similar nature that a customer might mis-interpret as me telling them they only get one question.

Second, I always try to be very respectful of all customers, even ones that come in with a chip on their shoulder. Having run a steadily-growing business for over sixteen years, and having worked in the industry for years before that, I know the value of polite, up-front, and respectful customer service. I'm not about to jeopardize all that hard work by being rude to those who take time to visit my shop. That said, I have been guilty of losing my cool on occasion if a customer tries the heck out of my patience. No excuse mind you, but I am human.

Third, unless you were physically there and heard the entire interaction, you should probably refrain from posting such things. The kind of third-hand un-informed gossip you posted doesn't hold any weight at all with me, other than it needing to be addressed as such. If the customer you spoke of felt I was rude, he is more than welcome to post his first-hand complaint.

Now that I think about it, I do remember one incident a few months back where I was busy and had several people waiting in line. Someone came in, and as a joke, one of the other customers waiting said "you get one question". At the time, I couldn't look up to see what was happening because I was in the middle of a delicate SMT operation. I dont remember any other details of the incident, though, so i dont know if the person simply left or said something before they left. I did say something to the customer who made the "joke", but the damage was already done. Its possible this is the incident you're talking about, but third-hand info is still not something that should be posted as fact.

rabbiporkchop, BUZZSAW and 112racing Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BUZZSAW

BUZZSAW Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2006
    I have spoken to Dave on the phone a few times but, realize that he stays really busy with his walk-in trade. I prefer to ask some performance questions via e-mail and he has been more than courteous with my questions. I think he is a top notch guy who has never tried to "over-sell" me anything that I did not need. His professionalism shines through in the help he has given me. I wonder if Dave accepts Com Check payments for some fleet purchases I need to make??? I need to outfit a few of the guys in the fleet for some excellent work>

4. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    dtbradio is one of the good ones! Why do I say that? Because my good friend Russ, the initial moderator of CBTricks before it went "corporate" and Bennie axed him, told me so!:yes2557:

rabbiporkchop and BUZZSAW Thank this.
  5. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    He doesn't detune anything. He restores clipped modulation limiters and sets the AMC properly, rather than leaving it cranked wide open. This is not detuning, because clipping the limiter and/or maxing the AMC doesn't actually increase transmit power on-frequency, at least not enough to be worth the crappy audio quality and splatter across who knows how many frequencies... (which is seen by a simple analog meter (i.e. DOSY) as more power)

Anyway, I bought a DX-979 from him on Friday and had him tune it up, as well as brought him my 29LX to him, which had a mosfet final improperly installed... both of 'em really smoke now, and sound good to boot. I was talking to a guy in Harrisburg this morning on the DX-979... while sitting in New Kingstown. ~15-20 miles. Not too freakin' shabby for a barefooter, and he said I sounded, and I quote, "REAL #### good!"

Thanks Dave!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    mike5511 Thanks this.
  6. dtbradio

dtbradio Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2010

Yes, I take comcheck's for the exact amount of the purchase. I even run comdata cards as long as you have a PIN for it.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  7. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    Honest, staight shooters, will not sell you anything you don't need.

If you are into gizmo & gadgets not sure you will like him, but if you are after crystal clear audio and excellent receive then you will love his work.

I have done business with many shop in my career, since few years DTB has my business!

Worth a try no doubt!!!

darthanubis and 12 ga Thank this.
  8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    He does great work on small radios, and If
    you weren't happy with the work he did I suspect an amplifier might have been involved.

9. barrier12

barrier12 Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2009
    USA
    I've mailed two radios to DTB Radio based on recommendations here. Those recommendations are the reason I give benefit of a doubt to DTB Radio(there is a chance that there was a miscommunication because I sent not just one, but two radios, although both were accompanied with notes which said "I would like to have both radios brought to their original specs, no additional features. If you would like to offer modifications, please, do and provide price"). We have exchanged several emails later, but it seems we did not read them the same way, when I said I expect total cost would be such and such, meaning for both radios at the end of the day it was for each.

My overall impression-unsatisfactury.

Communications-good, fast, may be even too fast sometimes.
    Speed of work-good, my 2 radios were finished in just one day according to Dave.
    Quality of work-n/a, I do not have ways to check it(and do not want to do it).
    Price-probably ok considering reputation.
    Overall impression-unsatisfactury.

I've tried to save some $ by shipping 2 radios instead of one, but what I have got was I paid double on things I did not want or asked, got $20 discount on $200+ bill. If there would not have been several Dave's customers here who got another experience I would have honestly believe he was trying to make quick buck by selling extra.

My advice would be this-unless you are dealing with something rare or of big sentimental value, do not bother with shipping and repair, I understand professionals should be rewarded for their knowledge/skills, but for $200+ I could have bought decent brand new unit.

If someone need Cobra 29 WX NW ST with some work done by DTB Radio, let me know, it is for sale(or trade, let me know what you have and do not need anymore(except cloth, shoes, food, animals or fish)), it is used but in very good shape and comes with good review from DTB Radio.

10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    It is worth more to use and enjoy than to sell.

11. barrier12

barrier12 Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2009
    USA
    Thank you for the suggestion Rabbiporkchop,
    I hope 1 radio would be enough although I feel it may be a good idea to keep both. As recommended here I plan to keep Uniden Grant LT.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.