Dually w/3-4 wedge, Medium duty w/ 4-5 car or semi w/7-10? Please help

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Nikki/, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Old Tex

Old Tex Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Woodlands Texas
    I retired after a looooong career as a carhauler.. With deregulation and all the rate cutting fly by nighter scabs in the business today....It is NOT a business ANYONE should get into.. Carter and reagan DESTROYED the greatest transportation system in the world.... We are left with low rates....LOWER PAY and low class steering wheel holders ( aka "wanna be truck drivers " )

Speedloader Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

I have to agree with you Tex, esp. about the rates. However the dually and three car haul guys are not hurting me, because we are mostly long haul. My BIGGEST problem is with these dedicated flatbed companies that bid on a utility truck or crane bed truck or shuttle bus as a back haul.

In some cases they are undercutting me by a good margin, they simply have no idea what to charge for some of this stuff, then when they damage it and the insurance company doesn't have them listed or rated for hauling vehicles in turns into a fiasco.

rowekmr Thanks this.
  4. rose88

rose88 Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2012
    I have noticed that I see more and more flatbeds with a partial load and a truck,car,or bus making the load full. I saw a load of steel (flat bar) and a truck over it. Maybe I should be looking for a flatbed instead of a 6-7 car hauler? to justify my expense more? LOL (kidding)

5. herman243

herman243 Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Well I've decided that in just going to dip my feet into the water a little at a time and I it gets too hot I'll just get out

6. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Better price insurance, auto transport insurance is some of the highest in the transport industry, and make sure you not underinsured, if you only have $50,000 cargo with $100,000 in vehicles on the trailer and have a total loss, guess where the rest of the money is coming from?

Speedloader and rowekmr Thank this.
  7. Nikki/

Nikki/ Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Greensboro, NC
    hey everyone, like i said a few months ago im gonna start with dodge 3500 and 3car wedge, then i changed my mind after driving it for a few times, see the pic i've inserted what i started with, lil Frtliner with real 4 car ( 4 BMW 7 or
    similar) low pro 102 wide take 3, 2 axle trailer with electric-over-hydraulic brakes, wanna buy class 8 soon.
    . photo (5).jpg photo (6).jpg

rowekmr Thanks this.
  8. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Looks good man! We are going to class 8s as well, pulling 4 car infinitys ...

9. 8x8

8x8 Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Great question re 3-4 wedge dually / class 8
    I've be riding the the down hill wave of work in ND oilfield, ( heavy haul / rig mover / winch truck ) decided since I pretty much can choose my days on / days off I will slowly work my way into auto hauling

late / mid 90's 2 axle semi + 4 car wedge ( Take 3 or Wally Mo ) all paid for, truck will have custom dual aluminum split tanks for regular diesel & WVO ( waste filtered veg' oil ) heated racor filter, dual fuel selector valve, I sure I can run on WVO 40% of the time at average cost of $2.00 gal will give me a chance to make a living. read profit

10. saxologist

saxologist Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Pompano Bach, Fl
    I wonder where can one make money in trucking. Almost everyone on forum suggest a different career. I got my license a month and a half ago and have been reading just about everything here. From comp. drivers to O/O. Now I'm reading about hauling cars since my nephew in Chicago suggested I look into it. He has a small used car dealership, about 30/50 cars. This is what he said but also I don't know how long ago this was also.

We used to have our own truck and trailer and my brother-in-law David would drive for us. It is great money if you have the desire. He did just enough to get by. Not good enough for us.

It is not as difficult as you may think. There is a website called Central Dispatch that all drivers go to in order to find loads. You put a load together going one way, then schedule the same for the trip back.

There are dealers looking for auction runs all day every day and are no shortage of loads. A decent truck and trailer combo will cost about $15k. We can help set you up on Central Dispatch and find you a truck if you want.

11. texan007

texan007 Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2010
    In the woods,TEXAS
    For those of y'all deadset on hauling cars I have a wedge for sale. It was upgraded to haul oil field trucks and heavy units. It has two 10k axles. pics below

Steel ramps made into flippers, with two inch tubes along sides, can be hauled with pick up or class 8, king pin with large platform, front flippers are two inch tubes braced, d-rings all up the middle.

There are a ton of upgrades

Send me a message

Attached Files:

rowekmr Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.