Dumb Noob Question: Rattling noise in my truck, coming from my dashboard/display

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DumbNewb, Mar 17, 2019.

1. DumbNewb

DumbNewb Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2019
    I've been driving for about a month and a half, and I've no idea what I'm doing, for the most part. I left my truck on for the night, engine eventually shut off, but my battery ends up dying completely, which, of course I knew that'd happen eventually.

However, there's this weird rattling sound coming from my dashboard on my driver's side. I have a 2018 Peterbilt, no idea what model.

If I turn the key to the on position, nothing happens. So my key is out, truck is dead save for the rattling noise from my display. This may be wishful thinking, but is that the battery trying to recharge?

Edit: When I try to start the truck, the rattling shuts off.

Here is what it sounds like: Vocaroo | Voice message

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Reason for edit: more info.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You did not say if you were driving a 40's dodge or a 2020 plush land yacht. You can easily pull batteries below a specific point at which computers MUST have voltage to start. If you don't have say at least 10 volts you have no computer and by extension a dead truck that wont start because it wont know how to run.

If you left too much stuff plugged in you can kill your batteries quick which turns into a nightmare that positions you to be terminated if enough money has to be thrown at you.

I can go on, but I am on a tight rope tonight and leave it here.

ncmickey and DumbNewb Thank this.
  4. Sdatruckinginc

Sdatruckinginc Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2019
    Really a rattling wondering if batteries are trying to recharge I just scratched a clump of hair out with that one

D.Tibbitt and cjb logistics Thank this.
  5. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Asked the owner of truck to get it looked at. If your the owner,.... well take it to a shop and turn it in; then drive for someone first and learn how these beast function.

6. aramil248

aramil248 Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Maine
    One of the main reasons I always set my truck to optidle is to keep battery charged. Even if I'm using the bunk heater for the heat I don't want to wake up to a dead battery. It almost happened to me once in Nebraska in single digit temps. So if you got a Apu get that running to keep stuff charged. Otherwise idle the thing

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If the batteries are dead, I'd be more concerned about getting them charged and the truck started first. Fix what you know is wrong first. No sense trying to figure out the clicking noise when there's a 98% chance its probably only making that noise because the batteries are dead. And no, batteries will never magically recharge on their own, that's what the alternator does.

8. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    the clicking sounds like the relay to the starter.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    just think you may be driving next to him on the highway LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.