Dump trailer's Square VS Half round

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by apyles, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Gambi80

Gambi80 Medium Load Member

'Bout the same but with a short trailer we're grossed out at 73,280....so for a steel trailer that gets 19-21 tons or with a short frameless aluminum you can get 23-24 tons. I do a lot of hourly work, but most of the time if it's by the ton it's good.........unless the immigrants crash the party.

Can't remember where I read it on here, but one of those guys from the east coast where they haul 107,000lbs said it penciled out about the same as ours or yours.......................doesn't make much sense does it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SL3406

SL3406 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Higher gross weights don't benefit the truck drivers very much from my point of view. Most just wind up moving more product for the same pay :biggrin_25513:

4. Marc Letourneau

Marc Letourneau Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Worcester Massachusetts
    You are correct, I really wish they went down to 80,000 across the board.. You burn a lot less fuel and save on wear and tear.

Eaton18 and dirthaller Thank this.
  5. Eaton18

Eaton18 Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Waverly, KS
    I do too. I'm one of those that end up moving more product for about the same pay. I say about because I get paid a percentage of what the truck is paid. The truck is paid by the weight. So more product weight equals a little more pay, not that much though.

We're suppose to gross as close to 85.5k as possible. With the truck I was driving until a couple days ago, that was about 26 tons. The truck I'm now driving I can get about 27 tons on. But in the end that extra weight in my paycheck only amounts to about another $10-20 dollars.

Now since should gross around 85.5k, that means that I can not run any interstate highways. With my current route, that is only about a 20 mile stretch. But the 2-lane that I run in place of that stretch is a real POS road. Then I must go through a town that has 9 stoplights. This adds at least another 30 mins drive time. If I could run the interstate, it only takes no more than 5 mins to get around the town.

Hauling to KC, that really affects the drive time. 100+ miles on worthless 2-lane highways or interstate, which is going to get you there quicker? Yes I know faster should not be part of the equation, but let's face it, time is a big factor in this industry.

6. Bigfoot62

Bigfoot62 Light Load Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Louisiana
    I can't answer for everyone, but I'm paid mostly by the ton/mile. If we are "short" hauling, like when we're unloading rail cars, (3 mile round trip, all off-road) we're paid by the hour.

7. MNoutkast

MNoutkast Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Elk River, MN
    The only thing around here I see half barrel trailers used for is rubble, boulders and stuff like that. Never seen an AL one around here either, big heavy steel ########. Then again I still see tons of belly dumps running around here still where other parts of the country they are almost non-existent.

8. Gambi80

Gambi80 Medium Load Member

What's the reason behind that?? Do you guys have to be permitted to haul over 80,000...?? Sometimes I think Illinois' laws are bass ackwards, but then I read stuff like this............no offense. I guess my gripe is that every state is SO different.

9. Marc Letourneau

Marc Letourneau Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Worcester Massachusetts
    Here both the trucks and trailer require a weight permit to carry over 80,000 LBS. With the permits we can carry 103,900.. I believe, I could be off a bit.. It usually is around 32-34 ton with a tandem 26 foot dump trailer. Axle weight has never really been an issue around here.

10. Eaton18

Eaton18 Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Waverly, KS
    The max weight in Kansas is 85.5k, except on Interstate highways. We're actually permitted to 90k, and I don't know why we don't haul that extra 4.5k ton.

11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    When I was a Navy Seabee we had a different attitude about the dumps you're talking about. The half circle type we called rock dumps and used it as such. It was just safer for us to dump that large bed when the materials rolled off and towards the center especially when there were large rocks. A box type bed we would load up with material and most of the time we would spread that material using the truck. I guess it's just better when you have both types.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.