Dump Truck Business

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by pilot8251w, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joetro

Joetro Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Post Falls, ID
    It seems like there are always places needing _______ (insert construction medium here) hauled in and out. Check with construction contractors in your area. Road construction, primarily. In fact, you might check with several and find out what's in demand in regards to type of dump needed and then go from there.

customtanks Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I've read articles where dump truck o/o's are hurting more than others . They talk of 5 years ago making $600 a day and netting $300 or more . Now they aren't making much more per hour and lucky to net $100 a day . I don't think it's really an area in need of new trucks . The work isn't all that steady . There may be a big highway project lasting a few years but uncertainty beyond that .

4. Luis

Luis Medium Load Member

Aug 10, 2008
    thats true dump truck o/o,s arent doing good only if your leased with a company go to your local cement plants aggregate plants etc look for a local company that you will lease on to one question you runnin a trailer or bobtail?

5. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

I agree that you should ask around. Actually you might want to look into getting a second dump trailer to haul behind you. I see TONS of those in Utah...dear lord. Of course, most if not all of those are all company trucks (same colors...etc). I also see quite a bit of belly dump trailers as well, hauling a second belly dump....whatever those are called.

Hmm...you also might want to look into getting a bedliner for the....dumpy thing (danged lack of vocabulary!). I worked at a utility that had a dump truck and they asked for bids on lining the bed of the truck with rubber or something similar to keep corrosion down and such.

Granted, I dunno how much, if any of a difference that makes...but it might be helpful if you are hauling everything under the sun from gravel to sand to asphalt...etc.

6. thomas

thomas Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Athens,Al.
    My friends dad was a dump truck o/o. he had his own authority and did work for several companies. He was getting $60. or more a hour to run it.

7. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    You can go through brokers (look for dump truck owners associations in your state) or go direct with contractors.

Word of advice: Do not go into California, particularly SO-CAL.
    The rates have been cut in half by the bottom feeders.

8. Rodeo_Joe

Rodeo_Joe Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Blackstock, Ontario
    live bottom trailer might be the way to go....... be more in demand cause they wont flop over as easy. Its a safety factor for the bigger conctruction companies. They are all goin stupid on safety. Not to mention cheaper on insurance. You can also get the load closer to where they need it. I've see them back right into a ditch where no dump truck could unload

9. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    You can't take a live bottom or any trailer in tight places like Lagoon Beach or Santa Monica though. That's why the Ten wheeler will always be useful. Much like no matter how much technology comes into play, we'll always need the "laborer" to wield a shovel.

10. rjones56

rjones56 Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    staunton va
    Inthis economy,with hardly any construction going on,and not much happening in the future-You may be wise to stay away from dumptrucks.As with any business,the more connections you have the better your business.I tried sitting in a quarry in virginia for a year then parked my truck and found a job.Between fuel and lack of steady work it was all I could do just to keep the truck running.Now my $20,000 albatross is sitting in my driveway with little(or NO) chance of breaking even.Maybe things will take off in a year or two_Only 2 good days when owning a truck-the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Working Class Patriot Thanks this.
  11. customtanks

customtanks Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2008
    The Great NW
    Thanks for all the info guys! I will do some research aroun town and see what i can find out! The Best way to go would be Leased on to a company but thats prob the hardest to find.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.