Dump Truck Driver Indicted On Vehicular Homicide Charges

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by mjd4277, Mar 1, 2021.

1. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    I believe I've see this scenario where the bed somehow gets energized, and raise while driving? Youtube videos? IDK?
    I don't drive tri-axle dumps, so I do not know.

My truck has an air operated PTO that - if it's in,
    I cant' go more than 20 or so. Did that by accident once, not good.
    Put the clutch in, and it's still hard to get it to release.

My opinion only, this guy was just wurkin to make a living; tragic.
    Especially if its possible it went up - and he didn't realize it? WTF?
    I feel sorry for the guy.

tommymonza, Road-house and Don379 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Yes and the faster the throttle is the faster it raises.

tommymonza, LoneRanger and okiedokie Thank this.
  4. rolls canardly

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    So are we asking the wrong questions here?
    Is this a safety issue where hyd. line to lift cyl. can get energized
    accidentally, or without being switched on by the operator??

Gotta have some tri-axle drivers out there??
    And a beeper - buzzer is fine, but not enough if its a safety issue.
    Apparently it is a safety issue; someone died.

nikmirbre and Hulld Thank this.
  5. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    As far as I know there is a dot requirement to have a tell tale light inside the truck to tell you it’s up.
    I have seen violations for it in New York State and I have signed off that they were repaired as a licensed NYS motor vehicle inspector.

With that being said I ran a 10 wheel dump truck years ago when I was younger.
    I used to use the tailgate spreader chains and spread gravel on the job site with the box in the air.
    When that box is in the air you can certainly tell it’s up with out looking.
    With the high center of gravity with the box up you can feel the sway in your seat.
    Kind of feels like your riding on jello is the only way I can remotely explain it.

6. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I don’t think once your moving you will get the pto to engage.
    The gears will just clash and make a hell of noise?
    Have you ever accidentally engaged the PTO on your rollback?
    I’ve done it on mine and it puts the fear of god in you that you didn’t just drop the transmission on the ground lol

nikmirbre and rolls canardly Thank this.
  7. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    you are correct. however, sometimes the pto can be left on. some trucks the indicator light doesnt work. With still engaged, the pump can creep the hoist up in some trucks. and some trucks vibration can move the handle or you can ump it going down the road. So many variables. Thats why you cant judge his guy without knowing the facts. Either way, im sure he woke up in the morning to go out so he can pay bills. Some people acting like he woke up saying let me jump in truck and kill someone. Accidents happen and sometimes people die. He has to live with that. MEan while, som states governors are putting convicted REAL murders and rapist back on the street today as we speak as part of some new bs movement.

8. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    The accident happened back in September,so I’m sure the authorities looked at all the evidence between now and then before the indictment was announced(6 months elapsed between the accident and the announcement of the indictment,so this didn’t happen overnight).As it is,it’s the driver’s responsibility to check and make sure equipment is secured before the vehicle gets on the road,regardless if it’s a dump truck,side dump,combination semi or otherwise. The company involved is going to be in a world of hurt.

Just passing by Thanks this.
  9. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    So its cut and dry to you huh. Has there been a trial? They always want to prosecute someone and have someone held liable even if it wa merely an accident. My word doesnt mean anything on the internet but i kow how the system works. Dont judge a driver like that. All us owner operators could be thrown in in prison for working on out own trucks. you could have a brake drum on your truck thats glazed over and all the rest are good. Accidently kill someone that cut you off. Police report comes back saying bad brake. Book thrown at you. throw you in jail bcuase you are your own mechanic. All the while accident wasnt your fault. Truck drivers re worse than people pointing guns at cops these days. catch my drift

tommymonza Thanks this.
  10. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    Lots of drivers here quick to hang the guy. Yet, the vast majority of drivers I see at the truck stops leave without so much as a basic walk around on their truck. If something were to happen, should they go to jail?

If the guy was truly negligent in some way other than making a simple mistake, then I can see charges, but it better have been something egregious, and not just a mistake.

nikmirbre and Don379 Thank this.
  11. rolls canardly

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    True with the gear clashing racket. Not sure this is the same.
    I did have a truck with a pump mounted away from trans, and it had a driveshaft of is own. I also had a COE Ford with a big Detroit w/belt driven pump under hood. Could be possible valve spool leaks enough pressure to raise the bed as speed increases? Don't know.
    Seems a #### shame in this day and age to have this happen.
    I'm sure it was accidental, and not on purpose, but was he aware?
    Did it slowly inch up without driver realizing it was even happening?

tommymonza and Hulld Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.