Dump Trucks, I need to learn how to drive a stick

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by zbs60, Mar 12, 2019.

1. zbs60

zbs60 Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2017
    HI All

Ive been a chauffeur for 20 years. I do have 4 years of straight truck driving but with a automatic transmission. I also have bus and motorcoach experience. Im trying to get a job as a dump truck driver. The couple of jobs i applied to were teamster jobs but really only paid about 18 to 20 bucks an hour. I have a Class B license with air brakes, tanker and hazmat endorsements but these companys think im a softie.
    I figure all these dump trucks are 8 or 10 speeds. Im trying to find someone to teach me how. I actually ran an ad on craigslist here in stlouis for a teacher. I offered 35 bucks an hour to teach me to drive a 8 or 10 speed. The only taker i got was a guy with a 13 speed. I thought that would be overdoing it and passed.
    Really wanted to find someone with a dump truck for that kind of money. Any you guys live in st louis or know a way i can get a quick lesson? I figure i should be able to pick it up in a couple of hours. I used to have a 5 speed honda.

thanks

z

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VantaiTatted

VantaiTatted Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Maryland
  4. W900AOwner

W900AOwner Heavy Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    I'd call that guy back with the 13 speed and have him teach you...it can be shifted the exact same way as an 8 or a 10 speed; you don't have to use the splitter button at all, just use the main gears.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Call the man back with the 13 speed and say youre sorry for being silly.

Transmissions usually have a low range, high range and there is the detail work up top. 10 speeds or 9's or 8's are for those who don't know anything. That 13 will open your eyes to a whole world of possibilities.

The shifting will be the same in any heavy truck with a manual. All about your RPM's or ear for some of you.

Learn two numbers.

Top upshift number is around 1600 or so give or take in a modern semi truck. Downshift number will be about 400 rpm steps making it 1200 or so. Once you understand this you can go up and down all day long without scratching.

That's the other thing, when transmission scratches at you, go for the next gear down or the next gear up. Don't be stubborn and lean on the scratching and grinding.

6. Woodchuck88

Woodchuck88 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2017
    New York
    Every dump truck I’ve seen here is 8LL, 13 speed or 18 speed.

7. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Learn all you can on every transmission you come across. Get your class A CDL and all the endorsements that go along with it. It best to be over qualified than not have the license to back you up. Don't limit yourself.

8. zbs60

zbs60 Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Are we talking about those tri axle dumps or those Class A type dumps. I had no idea there were 18 speed
    dump trucks.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    They all shift pretty much the same. Just a different pattern. The only trucks I've ever had on the open road had 18 speeds and I just drove them like a 9 speed and just split the top gear once at highway speed.

10. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    13 you can split high range gears, 18 you can split low and high range gears. Shift up hit the splitter let off fuel, shift down hit the splitter, tap the fuel shift, otherwise just a 9 speed, eazy peazy.

11. Woodchuck88

Woodchuck88 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2017
    New York
    Yes straight job tri axles. Most of them will be 13 or 18 speeds. 18 speeds are completely unnecessary in a dump truck. 13 speed is ideal for them. You will learn how to shift it after 2 days in it. Once you learn how to double clutch and float you can drive anything. Splitting gears will come with time and you can do a lot of damage if not done correctly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.