Dumping questions (give me tips) I didn't get much training.

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Canadianhauler21, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    I recently switched from OTR tractor trailer to just a 4 axle dump truck (straight truck no trailer). I'm loving the work but the thing I don't like is I'm not being trained properly so here I am.

My "trainer" told me not to dump on ground that isn't flat, but when I go to dumps the truck is not 100% flat on the ground, it's usually tilted a little bit.

Do you have to bang the tailgate after every dump?

Putting the box up freaks me out, I have a big fear of tipping the #### thing.

What are some tips you guys can give me to help put my nerves at ease? I have no problem getting loaded and what not but dumping really gives me the nerves. Especially when the box is all the way up.

Dino soar, motocross25 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Best piece of advice I got is when you’re backing up to dump, make note of how the truck reacts, because that’s what it’s going to do pulling away from the pile. I don’t want to give you a false sense of security but in a Class B dump truck you can get away with quite a bit as far angle of ground and everything. I mean don’t dump on the side of a mountain, but they are ALOT more forgiving than a frameless trailer. Try your best to work with the hill. Either facing down it or up it. Once that load breaks and the weight comes out of the nose they can dance pretty good without flopping. No you don’t have to bang your tailgate after every unload, but if your truck isn’t equipped with a vibrator this gives the bed the rattle it needs to get every last pebble or dirt clod out. And with all this said the major thing about dump work is DO NOT get pressured into dumping somewhere you feel unsafe. Contractors just want the pile where it’s convenient for them they could give a rats behind if you tip over it’s not their truck. They got a loader they can move it. Best of luck in your new venture. I’ve been end dumping for 3 years and I love it. It’s always something different and presents it’s own set of challenges everyday. Try to enjoy!

4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Don’t have to bang the tail gate…. It might knock out a little material but it basically just makes noise…….

5. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    you should try dumping with a dump trailer. that pto cant come drown fast enough

6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    These guys are above my pay grade….

7. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Thanks for the tips so far guys. I like how everyday is different and don't have to deal with warehouses anymore. Although sometimes it's stressful driving off road on dirty roads with what seem like 15% grades. Went up one yesterday and halfway up my truck stalled. Had to start from 1 and go up.

Dino soar and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    It’s happened to all of us, did tri-axle dump trucking years ago, enjoyed it a lot, just too many days out of the year not working. ‘Back spreading’ was fun, did some asphalt, spend most of my time with road bed ‘prep crew’.

9. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Rookie driver. I drove T&T dump for a decade. That is not how it's done.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Should those guys in the bright green jackets be paying attention to whats going on next to them

Just passing by and okiedokie Thank this.
  11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.