Dunnage Question

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by betochas, May 3, 2014.

1. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Dont waste your effort on the 6 bys like already said if they cant hit a 4 inch hole tell em you will draw hair on it. Go with 4 bys, if your lucky enough to be near a pipe yard you should be able to scam some of the yard master for free, or 6 pack

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KenworthGuyNH

KenworthGuyNH Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Central, NH
    Locale has a lot to do with what folks use.....I really, really don't like softwood though. If you are not hauling machines I guess you can get by with it though.

4. crazycanuck

crazycanuck Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Sicamous B.C. Ca
    Find a plywood mill. Next to it will be someone selling dunnage. It will be the core of the tree, the strongest part. Probably shaved to 3 and a half inches . Anyone with forks over three inches thick will need specialized loading. These will be spruce , pine, or fir, ...plywood stuff. Just a thought.

NoBigHurry Thanks this.
  5. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    I think dunnage is being way over analyzed here.

spyder7723, passingthru69 and cnsper Thank this.
  6. h11way

h11way Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2012
    midwest
    Simply nailing 2 4x4's together will make it easier for extra thick fork's to get under what-ever you are hauling.

7. crazycanuck

crazycanuck Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Sicamous B.C. Ca
    I thought so too but the 2 in 2/ 4 is only one and a half. So the 3 inch forks at the docks on the coast stick.

8. RoosterNB

RoosterNB Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2014
    New Brunswick, Canada
    It has a 4' rack & tarp kit, so I could haul lumber south and bulk feather meal or poultry meal coming north. Sometimes a load of oyster shells would come up, too. Having a head haul both ways was pretty cool. That job is gone now, so the only thing the floor has been used for the last few years is bringing home bedding for the horses.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  9. Battle Born

Battle Born Heavy Load Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Scandia, Mn
    I love oak, but I'd think any hardwood will do. Oak is just that much better for coils and such, especially for those special folk who tend to only use two coil racks under 40k+ coils. Any extra strength is good strength when dealing with those things.

10. Davidlee

Davidlee Medium Load Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Stand out there and watch the forks for some operators just don't care. Don't be afraid to protect your investment.

11. blessedman

blessedman Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Doniphan, Mo
    Some of the steel mills require hardwood. Oak or hickory work well for steel. For lumber softwood is fine. The lighter the better. Dried cottonwood is pretty tough and very light.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.