Duty free alcohol in truck

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by tomahawk204, Apr 26, 2011.

1. ukjustatruker

ukjustatruker Bobtail Member

May 3, 2011
    You obviously don't understand the meaning of a professional drive. This would include not having any alcohol in your truck north or south. That would be a good enough reason to perform randoms.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    :biggrin_25526:

4. Yup

Yup Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Everywhere,USA(Texas)
    No Doubt! all the Green Peace Professionals have all the right answers
    But understand none of the exceptions

As for Sweetgrass,there was once a DOT Shack that sat on the US side of the line
    it was there long before the slab was ever poured on the new joint venture that now sits in Canada.

5. ladywrongway03

ladywrongway03 Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    trotwood oh
    I did read a story of a women driver being involved in a accident and dot made sure to let the public know she had alcohol in the truck.that was the headline but when you read the story she had a unopened bottle.

6. Lockport

Lockport Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Lockport, MB, CAN
    Professionally, I am in a foreign country on business where the opportunity to purchase duty free alcohol to bring home is a practical accomodation long practiced at the US/Canada border. Having any alcohol opened or not is illegal south, however unopened, out-of-reach on the north side is not illegal. That's as professional as it gets.:biggrin_25522:

Last edited: May 4, 2011
    not4hire and trucker_101 Thank this.
  7. Lockport

Lockport Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Lockport, MB, CAN
    No doubt. However jointly regulated governments efforts prevail to make it, this is just blind coziness gone awry. It's a blatant example of over regulating to the point that it is substantiated by the confusion it presents. Democracy, the system we purport to subscribe, has to be liable to make it legal. You have a government exercising it's laws in another governments territory. To me, anyway, the only statement that makes is that the industry, itself, has a long way to go in establishing exactly what it expects in it's relation to government, serving the people. i.e. if we were black-boxed tomorrow, rates, as well as timeliness of delivery and the cost cutting practise of a company, other than trucking, receiving its products only long enough to turn them around, would all be greatly affected. We shoot ourselves in the foot here. We should be making a lot more money by driving a lot less.

not4hire Thanks this.
  8. tomahawk204

tomahawk204 Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Canada
    Ahh well, crossed back into Canada today, picked up a nice cheap bottle of J.D. No hassles at the border. Couple days off now to enjoy a sip or two!

9. Bikerboy

Bikerboy Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Canada
    I remember once seeing a US driver stop at a US gas station and hop back in the cab with two 6 packs ! lol didn't even bother to try to hide them or put them under bunk through the side door.

10. Lil'Devil

Lil'Devil Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Great White North

is everybody a goody two-shoes or what,

never in all the years I had been trucking did I ever have someone at the scale want to know if I had alcohol, and I always had alcohol,

11. Lil'Devil

Lil'Devil Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Great White North
    Years ago Michigan state troopers used to park just before you got to the bridge when you come out of the duty free and wait for trucks to give out fines for having booze in the truck, before you got into Canada, because Michigan has a problem with Ontario they are told specifically to target Ontario trucks , rotten pricks,

That was several years ago, I hadn't seen them do i since, but is sucked because if we had to cross there we couldn't buy booze for a couple months til the duty free store made a big stink over it, that's the only time I ever heard of anyone getting fines for having booze.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.