Duty free alcohol in truck

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by tomahawk204, Apr 26, 2011.

1. tomahawk204

tomahawk204 Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Canada
    That was made clear to me the other day crossing into the U.S. I had to go in to get some ppwk verified, all of a sudden some supercop A-hole
    demands my keys, goes out searches my truck for a good 15 minutes, then comes back in and directs me into their holding cell and tells me they got a "tip" that I smelled of alcohol.

Asks me if I had anything to drink that day, day before, or day before that. I say no, supercop then warns me that "Well If you did you would be having a very bad day".

I mentioned in an earlier post that I would be having a couple sips on my days off, turns out I didnt, but since when is it illegal to drink alcohol the day before, or 2 days before going back OTR?

And I wonder where this "tip" came from, is this site run by D.O.T or what? The only other thing I can think of is that I used some hand sanitizer right as i entered the building and approached the desk..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    It isn't. I have a few posts on that subject too... some are on this page. Basically it's no drinking within four hours of going on-duty and you can't be under the influence of alcohol while on-duty.

I'm not a drinker... I swear. :biggrin_25523:

I probably average less than one drink per week. I guess it's just my very low tolerance for B.S.

not4hire and tomahawk204 Thank this.
  4. Lockport

Lockport Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Lockport, MB, CAN
    I have a cream for psorisis on my hands and one day coming out of Donners some NV trooper sittin' in the middle "heard" abnormal tire wear sounds on an axle on my trailer and pulled me over. He said he smelled alcohol and went on and onb and on about the day before and today:biggrin_25523:

That being said, I had crossed at Coutts so many times with a 2 or 3 Heinekens in the fridge and Canada Customs waving me through that one day I still had them, crossing south at Pembina and, of course, revealed it when asked. Huge issue but they were really nice and witnesed as I dumped it into their sink. I thought the big girl was going to make me put the bottle somewhere, but that's another story.:biggrin_25522:

Digitalwarrior Thanks this.
  5. Luzon

Luzon Medium Load Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Making up a manifest for a small amount of alcohol that you bought, duty free or not, also requires proper licensing for the carrier. If one were to make up a manifest for a company that wasn't licensed then got caught, well, that company would be in a world of hurt - along with the driver.

I always wanted to stop at some of the places along the KY Burbon trail but I wasn't interested in putting myself in the position of "trying to make it through". Most of these places offer shipping. If you've got to have that bottle, then spring for the shipping.

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  6. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    you do realize that if you had blue --or even canadian in the fridge ,you wouldnt have had to dump it---only cause it was heiniken ---they were only thinking of your best interests

caddy59 and trucker_101 Thank this.
  7. Kinni

Kinni Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2020
    Sorry for replying to this old thread. On July 15 WSP issued tickets to Canadian Truckers going into Canada after buying alcohol from duty-free @ Pacific Crossing in Blaine, WA. Fines were $750 USD + 24 hour OOS. :confused:

8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    That's why the arrangement at Sweetgrass works so well. ;)

It's a CS ticket by WSP, but it's low-hanging fruit and I guess everybody has their quotas to fill.

magoo68 and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  9. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    I've seen them do it a Lewiston/Queenston crossing last year as well. I usually buy my duty free alcohol at Buffalo duty free, clear shot to the bridge and you can see any possible checkpoints. Pretty bs that they would nail truckers buying duty free crossing INTO Canada smh.

BigHossVolvo, magoo68 and not4hire Thank this.
  10. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    I guess the liquor sales at truck stops must be down and they need more taxes lol

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  11. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    Well since the Washington State Patrol has been neutered and can no longer police their own citizens they have to find another revenue source.

Apparently it's truckers with alcohol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.