Eaton 18 speed rattle noise

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Cam Roberts, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    freddy hi,
    Sorry for confusion. IT is a noise while the clutch is out and truck is rolling in gear at idle. Like creeping in traffic with a heavy load. As one member put it, sounds like a rock crusher. Definately coming from the belly of the beast. Im thinking at this point what @swaan said. probably worn out cross shafts. its not gear specific. IF i roll in traffic off the throttle in low, first, second or 3rd, you will still hear and feel the sound. So definately a main shaft of some point. However, i will pull the trans and inspect it through the top cover. I have a feeling this trans is wore out. Is there a reputable vendor that rebuilds eaton trans besides eaton. The price difference is around 3k. 3k is a lot for piece of mind through genuine eaton rebuild. But hey at least they dyno their rebuilds

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    Thinking about this again. Is this more related to engine speed or vehicle speed? I have seen where the input shaft splines are worn and at low engine RPM the input shaft will rattle inside the clutch. I found this a common problem when I was a newbie and thought I was saving the company money by not installing an input shaft kit with every clutch.

If everything is high mileage enough, this could happen with normal wear.

4. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    engine speed bro. For example, if clutch is out and truck is idling and speed is 3 miles an hour in first gear, the torque to keep truck rolling is what brings out this rock crusher sound. IF in 2nd gear and speed is 5 miles an hour at idel, this sound is there. Bring the truck out of this low rpm strain and give it some fuel, sound and vibration disappears. I know you guys have heard it before in other trucks.

5. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Countershafts.

6. Freddy2times

Freddy2times Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2019
    as i was saying. if it were a problem within the transmission it would make a very loud grinding noise. you cant mistake it for anything else. as for the release bearing(clutch bearing, throwout bearing)open up the inspection plate and try to move the bearing by hand. its supposed to be splined snog with the input shaft. if theres any freeplay( able to wiggle it) you need a new release bearing. ive seen this probably 5 times since january. for the record im a diesel mechanic.

7. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    ok thanks. When i get to it and drop the trans. I will update the thread with pictures and video if need be of my parts

Rideandrepair and Snailexpress Thank this.
  8. Lobaina Perez

Lobaina Perez Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Hi any update on your problem please ?
    I have exactly the same problem on my truck I replaced my clutch by a brand new eaton easy pedal 2050 foot pounds torque , rebuild my transmission and I still having the damnn noise and rattle on the clutch pedal when pulling a hill

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  9. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Had a Western Star, it had what at first I thought was a bad through-out bearing. After some snooping around it was the clutch linkage pivot points above the pedal inside the cab. Just needed to be oiled. The noise went away.

10. JLETRKNUSA

JLETRKNUSA Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2020
    I have a Eaton Fuller 18 speed million miles on it and it sounds like somebody's sitting on the door step with the impact wrench while I'm in gear driving

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.