eaton fuller 10 speed ultra transmission

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Fritzybabe, Dec 6, 2023.

1. Fritzybabe

Fritzybabe Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2023
    I have been having intermitent 10 speed ultra transmission problems with no lights or warnings. The transmission will slip out of gear, usually ninth gear, will go back in but won't down shift past seventh. It will do this for a while and then come out of it. The first time it did this I got to where I was going, in seventh gear, stopped and it would not shift into neutral, or reverse, or even automatic neutral by setting the parking brake. After several minutes it came out of it. We had a mechanic plug it in, and there were no faults. Please help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    There is a PD mode to go into, a sequence of pushing a few buttons. It makes the system more sensitive, then someone can wiggle and pull on wiring to see if a code sets.
    There is also a snapshot mode. Something like pressing the low button and then the up arrow twice when the problem occurs while driving. The system will then take a snapshot 9 seconds before and 2 seconds after the problem. The data can then be downloaded (Service Ranger software) and sent to Fuller/Roadranger and they will assist in diagnosing the problem(s).
    This link talks about Snapshot and PD mode.
    TRDR0943.fm (eaton.com)
    This is one number to try.
    ROADRANGER HELP LINE: 1-800-826-4357

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
  4. Fritzybabe

Dec 6, 2023
    Yeah, I just read about the snapshot, I hope it does it again soon, it has done it three times in the last 9 months. Thanks for the input.

5. M22 rockcrusher

M22 rockcrusher Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2020
    Get a manual. 10 speed on the floor.

6. Fritzybabe

Dec 6, 2023
    Your right, my other truck is exactly that. My knees are getting bad and I thought the automatic would help, but it's just not made for the abuse a muddy landfill offers.

M22 rockcrusher Thanks this.
  7. Fritzybabe

Dec 6, 2023
    Tried the PD mode, when I shut it down and turned it back on I got a 21 in gear mode indicator. Couldn't get a hold of anybody at Eaton support, will try tomorrow.

8. Fritzybabe

Dec 6, 2023
    Got the drivers snapshot on the transmission, code 73 came up. We did all the trouble shooting that we could and had no luck. where do we find a list of certified technicians on this transmission in Lincoln, Nebraska?

9. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    Do you have this? See attached. The complete file is on the Eaton website but is almost 400 pages and cannot be attached here. Ultrashift PLUS started to come out in late 2009, mainly 2010. Snapshot is not just for a code, it saves data at the time of the problem. Fuller will assist in diagnosis once they have the file. So if you cannot retrieve the file yourself (need software) you will have to have a shop do it. I would call the # in post 2 and ask about a shop near you. Code 73 could be a lot of things. Generally/mostly an intermittent problem will be electrical or software related. Mechanical is unlikely to be intermittent and will be more consistent. Don't forget the thumbs up/thank icon.

Attached Files:

Fritzybabe Thanks this.
  10. Fritzybabe

Dec 6, 2023
    Yeah, we needed new batteries any way, changed them, checked connections, checked condition of fluid, still no help. We decided we need a tech. Thanks for the help.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.